White epoxy pigment use.

I am plannning to paint the hull of my Shearwater white.  I see CLC is selling white pigment to add to the epoxy mix.  I am thinking of using this with the final epoxy coat prior to primer and paint to maybe hide some of the sratches that would happen thru the paint during normal use and thus postinging touch ups.

Any comments?

Thanks

Anthony in Boston

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: White epoxy pigment use.

Anthony,

I'm not sure how well the hiding part of it would work. What are the chances of the pigment matching either the primer or the paint (or both) well enough to hide the scratches?

For that matter, when the scratch is into the pigmented epoxy, that's attacking the last line of defense. Next stop is the wood. I'd want to know about that if it was my boat so that I could take care of it right away.

Have fun,

Laszlo

RE: White epoxy pigment use.

Laszlo makes some good points.  Always keep in mind that epoxy is not UV stable.  It always needs a protective coat of paint or UV inhibiting varnish.  I want to see the places where I need to do a touch up so that I can take care of the problem as soon as possible. The UV in Boston isn't as strong as it in in the Florida Keys.  It's still a good idea to keep that epoxy protected.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.