Shaping Peeler bow

Getting ready to shape the bow on my Peeler build. I am considering not shaping any of the wood off of where to two hull sides meet and building out from there with a wood flour mix. It just looks like shaping off the wood will just expose the interiro fillet at the bow. What has everyone else done? Also, the kit came with a lot of Cello fill and I do not see where much is suggested in the manual. Has anyone used this instead of wood flour for some of the final shaping? Thanks.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shaping Peeler bow

I didn't remove any wood from the bow. Instead I filled the outer notch where the side panels meet with the wood flour mix, covered the area with an eight inch strip of clear plastic 4mil drop cloth material and molded a rounded, fair and straight  "nose" on the bow. I left the plastic on overnight and when I removed it the next day I had a smooth rounded joint that just needed a little touchup.

The celo-fil will be used for attaching rub strips, spray rails, sheer strakes, inner and outer rails, etc. so you will be using it.

I didn't remove any wood either. Just like Catboater, I filled the space with resin and wood flour. Before glassing the hull, I epoxied a piece of 1/2-inch stainless half-round to it and faired that into the wood on either side. I could probably use the boat as an icebreaker. I did have to use a carbide drill for the holes to mount the bow eye.

A picture of the final result:

Peeler Skiff faired bow

Before the paint:

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.  Nice looking boat!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.