Multiple Layers on Hull

I’m on my second kayak from CLC Boats.  The first was a Shearwater hybrid 16, and this one was s a Sheerwater Sport hybrid.  On the previous build I layed one layer of glass down let it cure, sanded, then taped the line for the second layer (which doesn’t go up the sides).  I laid that, probably the next day, let it gel and cut it along the tape with a hobby knife for a neat transition.

This time I read the instructions.  Apparently I’m supposed to lay all the layers together to get the maximum chemical bond...  

Given my obsession with a clean line, and my almost instant rage when the ends of cut fiberglass start to fray...  what’s the best approach?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Multiple Layers on Hull

Hi Crazy, 

your approach is just fine.  don't worry.

in your approach, i can't imagine you would ever come near noticing the difference between a 'single pour' vs 'two pours' with sanding in between and no obvious surface contamination.

the advantage of your approach, frankly, is control/quality vs speed.  while there may be theoretically a stronger bond in a single pour, the ability to manage a lot of tasks in a limited amount of time typically results in off-setting control/quality issues (poor wet out, bubbles in glass, excessive epoxy use, the need for a lot of sanding to clean up sloppy glass work) that simply make trying to do too much in one step a poor choice.

i have built 18 kayaks now, working on my 19th.....and routinely take the approach of breaking down complex, high-risk steps, into easily managed high quality, low risk steps.  maybe it uses up a bit more time....but i find that i haven't regretted it.  i have never experienced a structural failure in doing my layups a piecemeal and a little slower and with more control.

hope that helps, 

h

RE: Multiple Layers on Hull

Harry,

After 4 years of saltwater use, I've seen absolutely no issues with the multiple layers of glass on my Peeler Skiff hull where each layer set for 24 hours or more and was sanded before the next layer was applied. The MAS epoxy is virtually blushless and epoxy is very sticky stuff when applied to lightly sanded epoxy. 

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.