Tenderly experts

I am about to buy a Tenderly kit but would greatly appreciate seeing a completed boat. I am in both LOS ANGELES area and BELLINGHAM WA areas regularly. Is there anybody out there who would let me spend ten minutes looking at their finished project? With thanks, seabeast.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tenderly experts

If you've not done so already, you might try using this:

https://www.clcboats.com/builders_club/search/

...to find Tenderly builders in your areas.

.....Michael

I'm certainly not a Tenderly expert and I have only seen them at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, but I can tell you a few things about them.

They're incredibly beautiful.  The lapstrake construction, with the pointy end along with all of the old-school interior floorboards and spacered inwales make for an amazing looking boat.  One possible drawback I can see owning one is that you will constantly be stopped to answer questions from passersby.  I can't imagine another boat in CLC's line that I would probably just stand and stare at more once it's finished.  On the demo boat that I've seen, they used constrasting colors of wood species for the floorboards and seats, which really made the interior pop.  If you go with the sailing version and a wooden mast, that will also look great.  The demo boat also has tanbark sails, which is another major old-school aesthetic.

There are only two reasons that I'm not already the owner of the plans for the Tenderly for my next build is that it's 130 pounds for a 10' dinghy (which requires scarf joints).  This means I can't lift it myself nearly as easy as my 90 pound Passagemaker.  Second, the payload is 425 pounds, which is only 50 pounds more than my Eastport Pram.  I built a Passagemaker (with a 650 pound payload) so I can go camp-cruising with my son. 

If neither of those considerations are applicable to you or your needs, then I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be absolutely thrilled about your decision/purchase.  It feels like a big little boat when you're standing next to one.  I'm actually still thinking about building one now that I have the PM for cargo hauling.  I'm also very interested in the XP version, but plans for it probably aren't coming out very soon.

As I said, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps.  Good luck and keep us posted!

I’m not an expert and I’m not on the west coast, but I am about 90% done with a Tenderly build (not sailing). I’d be happy to share pictures if that helps. 

Thanks everybody. I took your advice and bought one. Now up to plank 5 and all is well. THOUGHT:  I decided to premake the wires for ease of working. Bent them to shape in a pair of pliers the same width as the 'staple' throat ( distance between two pre-drilled plank holes) and with one leg longer than the other. Made single handed assembly a breeze.  Also found an online source of reusable caulking gun cartridges to make epoxying less messy - that ziplock bag idea is wild! (Look under 'caulking guns-cartridges-empty'.

Might be worth mentioning that the manual doesn't emphasize ENOUGH  that hand tightening is all you need initially - think of it as assembly only then fine tune when complete. I overdid it a few times and paid the price by having to dismantle to get a fair plank seam.

Otherwise a lovely kit!

I finished my Tenderly this past September and, like others, would be willing to share photos (I live in NH) or any other info.  Just a thought about the refillable caulking tubes for epoxy.  Unless you are a lot more methodical than I am, you may find yourself going through quite a number of them before you figure out the precise amount of epoxy you need for a given area within the time you can use it before it hardens.  Often you've mixed up too much; othertimes, not enough.  Consequently, I soon learned the utility of the more forgiving and cheap plastic bags.  At the outset, I found what I thought was a great solution when our veterinarian gave me a box of large syringes he uses routinely in his practice.  I still had to get the epoxy INTO the syringe - which I did by way of squeezing it out of a plastic bag - but when I ran out of the syringes, I found I had grown so adept at using the plastic bags that I just shifted over to using them exclusively.  But good luck with the caulking tubes!  Let us know how it goes.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.