Scarfing tools for a Sassafras 12

Hi forum, A question on the alternative tools for scarfing. Which is easier & better? ( I need to make a 2mm deep, 3/8 wide scarf on 4mm ply)

1. A No 78 stanley rabbet plane which I have access to or 

2. A 1/2 in mill end bit for a hand router, I don't have a table for the router. or

3. A rabbeting bit for the router where the bearing will run on the thin 2mm ply edge?

Thanks forum, Chris

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Scarfing tools for a Sassafras 12

i  like rabbet planes.  if you got one, with a sharp blade, shoud make quick work of it.

do a little practice on a scrap piece.  also very easy to make a little gate for it to ensure a straight line.

What Howard said. Planes are quieter, easier to keep sharp (which makes all the difference), easier to control and safer.

Laszlo

West Marine sells this monstrosity:

Chris

Are you cutting Scarfs on the ends of the planks or making the rabbet joint on the edge of the plank?  If you are cutting scarfs then I would use a hand plane, if you are cutting rabbet joints on the edge of your planks I would setup the router table to make the rabbit joints. 

See link:

https://www.clcboats.com/default/lapstitch-construction.html

In addition to the hand plane, I've also had some luck with a power hand planer and a random orbital sander to really sweeten up the straight lines of the plywood layers and get a paper thin edge that is solid hardwood surface layer for making pretty scarfs for bright finishes.

Hi Forum, re using a router rabbeting bit. To do a 3/8 wide 2mm deep rabbet on the edge of 4mm ply. The gap on my rabbet bit between the top of the blade & the bearing is 2mm thus with a 2mm deep rabbet there is nothing left for the bearing to run onto. In the instructions they use a router for the Sassafras 12, but how? Are there different bits? Thanks forum, Chris 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.

8 days, 16 hours left in the Fall Kit Sale!

Follow us on Instagram: @clcboats & @clcteardrop