Seadek Marine for inside the boat

I noticed in some pictues that Seadek mariine or other brands are installed inside some boats.  I am interested in installing some in Eastport Prim.  Questions:  Recommend where I can pruchase small amount?  Size like 3 mm thick? Pros and cons on my idea?   Has anyone installed some inside their boat?

NickL

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Seadek Marine for inside the boat

I bought and installed the Seadek set for my tandem wherry. Love the stuff! 

CLC sells a precut kit for the Eastport Pram. It’s good stuff, will last a long time. If you’re looking for a good non-slip flooring you really can’t beat the stuff.

George K 

Thanks George K, I will contact CLC,

NickL

You can order it here:

Nonskid Flooring for Smallcraft

$133 for the Eastport Pram, $109 for the nesting model.

It's good stuff, I have it on 3 of my boats.

Laszlo

��I just received the pre cut for PMD. Cuts were straight and clean. Excited to install.

We put non-skid grid in the last coat of paint on the inside bottom of our Passagemaker Dinghy.  Has provided good traction with minimal visual impact and $$$.  Just an option, if traction is all you're looking for.

.....Michael

I think Gramps meant "grit".  There's an additive that's basically clean sand that you can add to just about whatever topside paint you'll be using for the interior. 

I used EZDeck by Pettit that already has the grit in it.  I used Platinum Gray because it matched the EZPoxy Platinum Gray perfectly.  It's very abrasive, so good for traction, but the trade-off is that it's a bit rougher on the knees and it's more difficult to sponge out the interior after tracking half the beach into the boat when launching.  With the color match, the transition is invisible.  Also, you can paint over it.  I may go with a cream color for the interior if I get tired of battleship gray.

I would have a concern about anything adhesive backed staying put long term.  Also, I often have some water sitting in the bottom corners of my boat, which I would think might affect a product like that.

With that being said, there's also some cool faux teak deck products that are specifically designed to do that and also look old-school.

Right, Cap'n Skully, I meant "grit."  Must be losing my grip on my grit grid.

But, yes, basically clean, uniform sand mixed in with the paint.  We bought it from Home Depot at the same time as the paint, which was just Behr Premium Porch and Deck.  Interior was done in a non-glossy warm tan color they called "cold lager" at the time.

We did some experimentation with the amount to mix in to get just the right grippy feel we wanted without having having it be over-agressive--wouldn't do to have my grandchildren trying to learn how to sail with skinned-up knees.  My son and his bride, who did the paint work, carefully masked off the areas with nicely radiused corners so that it would look neat if it turned out to be very noticeable, which it didn't.  We put the gritty paint only on the bottom panel and up the inside of the garboard strake (for a bit of grip when sailing heeled over).  As I said, it's worked out very well.

.....Michael

As far as staying put long term, it's been 5 years on my Faering Cruiser and 6 years on my schooner and it's still showing no sign of coming loose. 

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.