Tenderly Turning

Does anyone have a creative way of flipping the hull of a boat during construction without a second set of hands? Or does this sound like a fool-hardy proposition? The hull is complete with wales and bulkheads in place so she isn't too flimsy but I would hate to rattle anything apart. I can atach pulleys to the trusses in the workshop if necessary. 

Thanks. 

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tenderly Turning

Having just completed my own Tenderly, I can clearly recall asking myself this very question.  I must admit, however, giving up given my superabundance of caution and depending on my wife to help lift and set the boat down on some moving blankets.  Then I rolled the boat over on its wales myself and carefully lowered it over and down on the blankets.  Then same deal with my wife and I lifting the boat back up on the saw horses. I now owe her big time.

My wife has many skills, but strength and manual dexterity are not among them.  Regardless, I still had to have her help to turn my PMD over twice during the last month and she was able to pull it off.  Morale:  Unless you can rig some fancy sling system from the rafters, I highly recommend having someone, anyone help you flip the hull.  If this means buying a neighbor a six-pack, then do it.  With that being said, I dropped my EP twice off the sawhorses during the build, but my giant fillets held the boat together no problem.  Regardless, I dont recommend it.  I think it shaved off 10 years of my life.

I probably should add that there were several minutes of explaining what we were attempting to accomplish, which way the boat would turn, the gunwale was supposed to land on the cardboard, when to switch grips, where the boat was going to then rest on the sawhorses, etc.

Basically, the episode of "Friends" where Ross was trying to get the couch up the stairwell...

Like everybody, I turned my Tenderly over numerous times to work interior or exterior, etc. at various stages of construction. I built the boat indoors in a carpeted (former) family, and was always by myself. Lifted one end off the saw horse to the floor, then the other--so now it's on the floor, say outer hull up--then lift up from the center side and balance it, rock a little forward or back to open up new floor space, hold on and keep it balanced vertically as you walk around to the outer hull side, grab the gun'l area and ease it down at your feet, now interior hull up. Or whichever direction you're going.  Sounds a lot hard than it ever was.

Barbara

Former family room, I meant to say.

I used simple slings to facilitate turning my dory. It still takes two sets on hands, but very little strength -- and no risk of dropping the boat. See my blog post:

http://lakenorforkadventures.blogspot.com/2016/02/building-clc-northeaster-dory-free-at.html

I used simple slings to facilitate turning my dory. It still takes two sets on hands, but very little strength -- and no risk of dropping the boat. See my blog post:

http://lakenorforkadventures.blogspot.com/2016/02/building-clc-northeaster-dory-free-at.html

I used tie down straps from the ceiling to flip my dory. It was very easy by myself. https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipOBT3_JFhh2cEIm9fBbPIC63K31LfbcGMg-7n878fuJPa2O8sYMzHzsnQqHUw-pDg/photo/AF1QipOs8B8MiE7YtlsQCEPU73F7QJSZiSS2bQYUSCF6?key=c0RQcWdDeFY2SlpVR3JrS0FTdTl5NTJwZXlMX1hB   

���I did it like Barbara but mine is in the garage with area rugs under it. I work solo, always have. I did have a friend on standby to hold the sieg while I crawled under to put the screws in but some weights held it perfectly.

���Skeg

Thanks for all of the great responses. In the end I went with Barabara's method of dropping the boat to the floor an end at a time and rolling it on a pile of moving blankets, and a yoga mat for good measure. Having short arms, I added a tie-down strap through the inwale space for a little extra control. Worked like a charm.

Bottom's up and on with the show.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.