Skerry Hardware

I'm about half way through my Skerry build and have started to think about adding some hardware such as a bow eye and cleats for dock lines and anchor. Looking for some advice on what to use and what has worked well for others. 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Hardware

This bow eye from Wichard comes in two sizes.  I ended up needing the large one to span the knee on the bow transom of my PM.

I bought these on Amazon for the mast, but they're perfect for dockline cleats too.

This bronze bow eye is what I used on my Tenderly:  https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=searchstore&search%5Bsearchfor%5D=Bronze+bow+eye

I ordered the 4” size, which was perfect for mounting through the bow and on through about 1 1/2 X 10” inch piece of wood I shaped to fit and epoxy on the interior of the bow.  On the extra threads (3/8”) of the bow eye, I screwed on a bronze eye nut for attaching odds and ends of things.  I’ll have to look up where I found the eye nut (if you are interested).  Incidentally, I drilled a little larger than 1/2”  hole in the bow itself, then epoxy-filled it, allowed it to cure thoroughly, then drilled a 3/8” hole for bow eye.

Hope that helps a little.

Shoe

On my previous reply, I meant that the bow eye bolt is 3/8” in thickness.  If you buy the 4” length, you’ll still have at least an inch of threads left after passing through the support piece of wood inside the bow - - enough to screw on a 3/8” eye nut if you want.  If not, maybe the 3” size would work for a more precise fit (a judgment call depending on your exact circumstances).   Just wanted to clarify that point.

Source for bronze eye nut I used on the inside of the bow:

http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/fasteners

See this thread:

https://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/41933.html   

Hooper

Someone had posted some Skerry pics showing a block, installed on each side of the part of the mast below the bow seat.  They are just below the holes, made in the bow seat, through which on the port side passed the downhaul for the boom, and on the starboard side passed the halyard for the yard.

Each of those lines would come down through the holes in the bow seat, then through the block, then led out diagonally to a cleat installed on the hull near the middle seat.  This kind of setup allows the helmsman to raise sail, and tighten the downhaul, from the cockpit, instead of having to go forward across the middle seat towards the mast step.  It also seems to offer the added advantage of additional leverage upon those lines.  

When I'd installed the two blocks, I'd put backing plates on the other side of the forward bulwark, on the other side of the blocks, for reinforcement, obviously before gluing on the forward seat.  If this idea appeals to you, and can't find the pictures for this, let me know, and I'll try and dig some up or find out where they are in this forum.

There's additional hardware I'd installed for the tiller setup, if you are interested. 

- Daniel

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.