NE Dory Forestay

Has anyone out there attached their forestay in some way other that the painter line? Talking with one of the guys at CLC, it could be possible if you keep the position of the jib the same. Any thoughts, ideas, or examples would be great.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Forestay

Yes,

I didn't really want the painter so I put a bronze bolt through in its place that has a ring on either end.  Initially I made the forestay so that the jib would set at the same point that it would if a painter was used.

However, after one trip out trying to raise the mast out on the water I realized how difficult and sketchy it was because I had to move most of my body around the mast to try and connect the forestay.  Doing so made the boat fairly unstable, a decent wave could have easily come over the bow.

To remedy that I attached a pulley to the inside ring at the bow and attached a cleat at the bottom of the daggerboard box.  So I now connect the forestay to a line that allows me to comfortably raise the mast on the water and cleat the forestay in position.  

I will try to share some photo's when I get a chance.

Austin

RE: NE Dory Forestay

Interesting Idea, photos would be great! I am going to be starting a Dory build soon, and i just dont like the idea of putting a hole through the bow for some reason.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.