Painting in the rain

Well not really IN the rain but in a shed when it's precipitating profusely outside.

I have put 2 coats of International Pre-kote on the exterior hull of my MC16 over the weekend when it was beautiful and dry, now a front has moved in and we have constant rain and humidity of 64%.

I was going to sand and put on the first coat of brightside today but should I wait until the weather improves and the air dries out a bit? I heard that prekote stuff soaks up the moisture a bit?

Also, any tips on applying brightside? I intend to use the yellow foam rollers. I've read about tipping out bubbles with a foam brush - just how many of these bubbles can I expect? A handfull or a couple of hundred over the boat?

Thanks

Steve

NZ 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting in the rain

G’day Steve – this is a near-neighbour of yours from Queensland, Oz.    

Over the recent summer I built, varnished, and painted my recently-launched Chesapeake 17LT in sub-tropical conditions precisely as you are describing – hot and humid, often raining, outside, under a patio.    I had no problems at all with undercoats, marine paint, or varnish drying out, even with the high humidity.  

But I would like to pass on a cuppla tips for that extra-glossy finish: like you I used foam rollers (the cheap, thin disposable ones, cut in half) and tipped-out with a narrow foam brush.    (1) Thin the paint as recommended, as it goes ‘off’ very, very quickly if applied straight from the can, and experts suggest that multiple thin coats are better than thick.    (2) Expect as many bubbles as you’d see pimples on an acne-ridden teenager’s unfortunate face!   DO NOT shake the paint/ varnish can, always stir so as to minimise bubble formation, but the mere act of rolling-on creates hundreds of them.   Initially I panicked (!), but the trick is to thin the paint as above, and work in small areas, only a cuppla square feet or so at a time.    (3) Before you use your foam tipping-out brush, have a good look at its long edge (from side on).   These things are cheaply made and often have a little ‘hook’ in the foam at one or both ends.   Snip this off if present (at an angle of 45 degree) or you will dig grooves from the hook(s) into your finish.   My foam brush was about 1½” wide, quite enough. (4) Dip the foam brush into thinners just before using, then blot out the excess with a paper towel, but keep the tip just damp (not wet) or it will drag.   Repeat often as you proceed.    (5) When tipping-out with the foam brush hold it near vertical and move it across the just-painted surface (dry to wet) using a butterfly’s wings softness of touch, in one direction only, as quickly as possible after rolling the paint on.   You will be amazed at how the bubbles are taken right out and a super smooth finish left.    (6) When I applied my paint (and the deck varnish), I left each coat for two or more days to harden before sanding back with W&D prior to the next coat.   In part, this was due to my concern, like yours, about the possible effects of the extreme humidity on the drying process.   This was hard, as I am an impatient guy and wanted to get on with the job, but it was worth the wait! Finally, there are excellent notes on this subject on this CLC website under ‘Tips for Boatbuilders’, and largely my thoughts above mirror those, with additional points added from recent experience. I’m delighted with the results of my painting and varnishing  – even though it hardly compensates for the length of time it took (I applied a two-colour paint scheme, making life hard for myself as usual!)   Eyeballing the surface it looks like a pretty good paint job with just a few tiny spots of hard-to-see orange-peel from the roller and of course a few inevitable dust specks: from three feet away it looks like a pretty good gelcoat.   You can see my craft on the recent post headed “Sneak Peek”, thanks to Kayak Kev who put it there on my behalf. Good luck…enjoy that painting! Wordsmith                                 

I’m delighted with the result – even though it hardly compensates for the length of time it took!   Eyeballing the surface it looks like a pretty good paint job with just a few tiny spots of hard-to-see orange-peel from the roller and of course a few inevitable dust specks: from three feet away it looks like a pretty good gelcoat.   I’m pleased to acknowledge a bit of inspiration for

Hey thanks for the tips Wordsmith - really appreciate it. Had a look at your craft too - well done, she's a beauty!

This is mine sanded and ready for the pre-kote. Will post some more shots in coming days, hopefully with a nice clean shiny blemish free paint job! 

Cheers

Steve

p.s. Are there any other CLC builders down here in Oz or NZ? 

Last photo cropped... wish there was an edit/preview function. 

Aarggghhhhh... ok I give up.

Hally,

There's a 300-pixel width limit on pictures posted here to make them fit into the gratuitously narrow porthole that this web server software enforces. I don't understand why with my 1650 pixel wide screen I'm forced to look at a postage stamp, but until CLC changes to a more modern and user-friendly display we're stuck with it.

In the meantime, right click and "view image" will display the entire picture.

Good luck with the paint job,

Laszlo

Thanks for the info Laszlo,

The forum is a fantastic resource for us budding builders but does appear to be a bit antiquated. I too have a lot of wasted real estate on my 1920 wide iMac. Photo's enhance forums so much, it's a pity this particular one is so cumbersome to use. I remember they (CLC) 'updated' the forum about a year ago, maybe it's time for another update. I for one would really like to see a preview post and/or edit post function.

and back on topic... was going to paint today but work got in the way. 

Cheers 

Steve 

Rain gone - paint on

Hi again,

Just thought I would post some MC16.5 paint shots. I am quite happy with the result. Thanks to Wordsmith and others for their tips. However I must say I didn't need to to do any tipping with foam brush as I didn't encounter any bubbles - maybe I was doing it wrong or the paint gods were smiling on me. I used the yellow foam rollers cut in half to apply all coats, and yes there were hundreds of tiny bubbles but within maybe half a minute to a minute they all disappeared and left a smooth surface, smooth enough for me anyway.

Next step is to flip her over and sand/varnish the deck, and then LAUNCH! It's only been a year. 

Also, a big thanks to ChrisJ. Seeing the flickr build set of his Mill Creek was the inspiration for building mine (hope you don't mind me pinching your colour scheme - unless either of us crosses the equator there's no chance of being seen together :-)

G'day again, s

G'day again, Steve - thanks for the updates.   Looks to me as if you had no need to worry about the paint job, as it looks pretty swish!   Nice contrast in the colours accented by the timber strip - nice!

I see your MC sleeps in the garage with a Royal Enfield - my craft sleeps with a Beemer!

Cheers...

Wordsmith 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.