Seattle Passagemaker Class

I was lucky enough to be able to swing by and crash The Center for Wooden Boats class where there were several Passagemaker dinghies being built.  Having just recently finished mine, and as a professional rigger for West Marine, I thought it might be cool to swing by and chat with not only the instructor, but also possibly pass on some rigging tips to the builders, since the manual can be somewhat vague on the rigging aspect of the build.  It was a great experience and I made some great contacts.  If interested, I plan on releasing a Passagemaker build video, a Passagemaker rigging video and possibly an Eastport Pram rigging video.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Seattle Passagemaker Class

How about starting with a video on cutting apart the take-apart version?

The manual needs help.

I would definitely like to see a thorough detailed treatment of sloop rigging for the PMD, either written or video.

I'd love a EP rigging video.  

As far as cutting apart the ENP, I found drilling a series of 1/8" holes through the cardboard using a long bit (as the manual suggests for the faint-hearted among us) worked very well.  The resulting line of holes makes for an easy guide for sawing, and helps manage one's anxiety.

All the best,

Mark

It's aged off the first page of forum threads, but I did a bit of a write-up regarding the rigging details of my PMD gunter-sloop rig here.  Feel free to post questions there.  I'm going sailing this afternoon, so if I can, I'll take additional pics as needed.

Mark,

The Passagemaker manual does not include that trick.  Do you do it before installing the seat?

Is there a way to center the drill tip in the cardboard gap?

Hi Wood,

I'm building an ENP which is sawn in half during the construction, the "gap" having been previously occupied by a sacrificial sheet of cardboard at the junction between forward and aft halves.  I am completely unfamiliar with the Passagemaker build, but if it's also to be sawn in half and a cardboard spacer is involved at the joint, I imagine the process is similar.  (However, I don't know what the appropriate sequencing would be with respect to "installing the seat.")

In my case, with the ENP hull right-side up and on saw horses, I used a 1/8" drill bit ("Irwin" brand, 12" long, sold in local hardware stores) to drill a series of holes down through the cardboard and out through the hull.  The weight of the hand-held drill was sufficient to push the spinning bit down through the channels in the cardboard.  I kept the bit vertical (more to avoid bending the bit than drilling through a bulkhead), but I knew that as long as the bit met no resistance until it had penetrated to the hull bottom, I was still within the sacrificial cardboard layer.  I drilled enough holes so that when the hull was turned over for sawing, the line to be sawn was obvious.  Actually making the cut was still anxiety-provoking, but the holes assured that I cut in the correct plane.

Good luck,

Mark

That's a brilliant addition to the EP manual that wasn't in there when I bought mine 5+ years ago.  That should also be an addendum inserted into the PM manual when they ship.  That sounds like an extremely helpful way of starting the cut and might have given me the courage to build the take-apart version.

This is the kind of stuff you used to be able to find on PMDBuilders.net.  With your permission, I'd like to create a new thread for this topic to facilitate future forum searches.

Hi CaptainSkully,

I don't know whose permission you're seeking, but if it's mine you certainly have it.  The more nowledge that's easily accessible on the forum, the more useful the whole platform is - and I've certainly learned a ton from your own posts as well as countless others'.

All the best,

Mark 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.