MAS EPOXY COLORING

Can MAS EPOXY be tinted before application ? I just want to darken my second Petrel a few shades.

Thanks

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MAS EPOXY COLORING

I should only have two or three more building coats of epoxy to make her super smooth and fair. Just wanted to have it a little darker than the first one. Thought about staining before epoxy but opted not to.

Tried contacted MAS Epoxy with no luck so far. Must be some way to tint it.

Yes, you can use the Evercoat gelcoat colors to tint the epoxy slightly.  They are available at West Marine and other marine suppliers.

Be careful-

I added black pigment to the fill coats of epoxy on the interior of a recent build. I was going for opaque black, so I did multiple thin coats.

While I would do this again to achieve a similar effect (as opposed to trying to stain the wood prior to glass/epoxy) I would not want to rely on this method  to tone or lightly alter the color of natural or stained wood. 

Initial coats were VERY blotchy and dramatically highlighted every imperfection in the surface. Roller marks/lap marks are highly visible, too. Even a thin coat of epoxy is pretty thick- this isn't like adding some toner to a sprayed on finish.

Also, I was using straight black. If you're mixing a custom shade, you'll want a degree of precision that's beyond my pay grade to ensure the same shade from batch to batch.

I don't want to be a wet blanket- just be aware of the gotchas.

Good luck,

Patrick

Thanks to,

Captain Scully and Patrick N.

Sounds like it might be a scary experiment while I'm this close to finishing.

Maybe I should look at a darker finishing varnish. Any ideas ?

Thanks guys

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.