Northeaster Dory - set for both sailing rigs

Has anyone built a NED that is set up for both sailing rigs? If so, is there a preferred order fo building out the rigs, i.e.: Build the boat and lug, add the Sloop, or build the boat and sloop rig, then add Lug?

-Gideon

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory - set for both sailing rigs

I just read the description of the NED and it says that the lug rig can be retrofitted to one that already has the traditional rig, and that it can be converted in minutes.  So that infers you would start with the traditional rig, then add whatever you need for the lug (e.g. partners, base, etc.).

If I was starting with a blank slate, I would probably fit the lug rig components in first, since there's probably more parts/considerations (e.g. partners, base, etc.), then add the traditional rig, which besides different spars, probably just has some additional hardware to mount on the bulkheads.

That's a pretty interesting concept.  My PMD has a completely different parts layout for gunter sloop vs. lug rig, so they are mutually exclusive.

My PMD manual has a supplement specifically for adding the lug rig.  Maybe yours does or you can get a hold of it so you can see where the setup for the two rigs overlap.

Good luck, interesting project, keep us posted!

RE: Northeaster Dory - set for both sailing rigs

When I was in the planning phase of building my NE Dory. I really wanted the Sloop sail. My only sailing experiences prior was on a sloop rigged sailboat and it just seemed like the right thing to do. Then after reading all I could about the Dory and its lug rig, Especially John’s write up https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/lug-nuts-lug-rigs.html . I got talked into the Lug. Really glad I did. The lug sets up and sails so effortlessly. After completing my Dory, I experimented with Lazy Jacks for my sail. I ended up taking them off, why complicate the ease of this sail? If I ever felt the need for a reef I would just drop the sail into the boat and tie them off. It’s not like you were wrestling 100lb’s of sail and rigging. Simple + light + easy = FUN! If I ever have a thousand dollars just laying around I might get a sloop setup…someday.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.