Foam Varnishing Brush Hack - Now w/ Photo

The Jen brushes are a clear winner for varnishing, yet they are scarce and quite a bit more expensive.  The problem with the cheap foam brushes is that they have no backbone.  I modeled and 3D printed this stiffener sleeve that slips over a cheap foam brush, and helps it perform more like a Jen brush.  Not perfect, but helps when you're stuck using big-box home center foam brushes. 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Foam Varnishing Brush Hack - Now w/ Photo

Hey, that's pretty cool! Nice job!

Jamestown Distributors now carries the Jen foam brushes by the box at a pretty good price:

1” box of 48...... $10.99

2” box of 48..... $14.98

3” box of 36.......$18.94

4” box of 24.........$15.23

hokker

Wow, yes now I see their price, 50 cents apiece for 3" brushes is half the cost of local cheap brushes.  Shipping brings it to nearly $1 each, but it's still cheaper than local expecially since we have 8% sales tax. 

A few weeks ago I couldn't find any Jen brushes on Amazon, now there are lots for sale, their price is even better and shipping is free if you have Prime.

Now that I got my bandsaw running again I've been cutting off the brush handles and throwing them in a box, figure someday I'll figure out something to do with them!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.