Two-up sliding seat rig for a sailing Northeast Dory

I thought I'd post some photos of my recent upgrade, a two-up sliding seat rig for a sailing dory. We ordered the seats from Adirondack Rowing (thanks Pete and Karen). I designed it so it is easy to set up. It fits over the daggerboard trunk and the two sections connect with a lap joint. The forward station attaches with two 1/4-20 bolts into nuts that I epoxied into the underside of the thwart. It took a bit of fiddling and a few long rows but I think we got the positions, travel and foot rests in the right spots. There's plenty of clearance for the forward rower to straddle the daggerboard trunk. I still have some finish work to do and the foot rests will have foot straps. The dory rows great with this set up. It's faster, a lot easier on my back, more fun and a better overall workout. I have my oars set up with Douglas oarlocks and sleeves (Duckworks) - makes it easy to feather the oars. My wife's oars are set up with NRS Oar Rights. She doesn't care about feathering, just daydreaming and bird watching. 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Two-up sliding seat rig for a sailing Northeast Dory

Nice work, clever design. Congrats!

Very interesting setup. I bet the boat flies along (when your wife does her bit to help).

I was just out tandem rowing with my wife today and her efforts really do help the boat pick up and maintain speed. We love having enough space between rowing stations that we needn't try to coordinate strokes. The dory is a great row boat.

HI!  Would you mind sharing some more specifics?  Notably, the model of the seat, and maybe a dimension or two.  Probably scalable from pics, but still.

Ironically I had just emailed CLC about tandam sliders and they replied I would have to forgo the sailing option... Was kinda bummed.  Really like this solution.

Is there supposed to be two aft footrests?  

Mike

Correction, mid ship footrests....

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.