Wherry Tandem - Down to the short hairs

Hull painted, awaiting final wet sand and coat of Brightsides. It was too cold the last couple of days to do the final coat, so I flipped the boat to concentrate on getting the interior ready for varnish:

I was able to get it pretty smooth, but it's still far from perfect:

Under Bulkhead:

I find the more I sand, no matter how lightly, the odds of sanding through go up exponentially:

Rails:

Bulkhead:

A couple questions:

1. On those small sandthroughs, do I really need to hit it with a few more coats of epoxy or will the 5 coats of varnish it has coming protect it fine?

2. Am I being too anal about this? In the big scheme of things, is this a decent job of final sanding or just plain bad? You won't hurt my feelings, I just want to do the best I can on it. I keep reading how varnish will just show all your mistakes, but at what point is "good enough" good enough?

3. On the wood lettering on the transom, is there a dremel attachment that will allow me to sand the epoxy in between the letters? 

Thanks guys, all input welcome and appreciated!

Cheers,

Spike

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wherry Tandem - Down to the short hairs

Just wanted to thank all the CLC experts on this forum for your incredibly timely advice. I'm guessing no one here has ever been at the final stage where you ask yourself, "Did I sand enough?" I'm still not sure, but at some point, you just have to say,  "F*^k it, I'm done!" Can't wait to get this bitch out on the reservoir and start stroking!

First coat of Schooner is on:

Nice job, love the high gloss paint job, you did good!

Thanks. The paints these days are superior to what I've used in the past. Brightsides is a really easy paint to apply and it flows really well with minimal thinning. Ditto the Schooner varnish, though I'll finish it in satin. 4 more coats and this thing will have seats it in :-)

spikec wrote "Just wanted to thank all the CLC experts on this forum for your incredibly timely advice. "

Come on, man. You posted the night before taxes were due, then we were into the workweek. This forum is a bunch of hobbyist volunteers. Real life takes precedence over hobbies sometimes. If you're in a real hurry, contact CLC customer service. You've already paid for that support when you bought your kit, so you're entitled to it. Not to mention, they're the pros and the real experts, not us.

But if you want forum people to answer you faster, try a more specific title, like "Sanded through epoxy while finishing". That'll get a lot of folks' attention, while your original title calls out only to those who have built or are interested in a Wherry Tandem.

On the other hand, judging by your results, you handled it perfectly. That is one pretty paint job, one I'd have been proud to do.

Laszlo

Lazlo, in hindsight, I agree,  that was a little harsh. My apologies.

Spike,

No worries. Boat Build Fever makes beasts of us all :-)

My problem is I see all the high-quality finishing work by you guys, which makes me overly-anal about each step of the build. Lots of wisdom here. I forget that I'm building this thing to row, not for show - that said, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. 

Three coats of Schooner down, onto the final two satin coats...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.