To dream the impossible dream

I have developed a nearly unhealthy fascination with arm chair quarterbacking expedition races like the EC and R2AK. Living in landlocked Idaho and knowing the state of my finances, it is a pipe dream of monumental levels to dream of ever competing in one. But yet, dream I do. I continually drool over boats to build to compete in one of these events. I have several picked out as being “the one”. Heck I’ve even worked out in my head how I would outfit my NE Dory for such an event. Why not, SUP’s have successfully completed both races. Not that I am in any condition for that much physical output!! OK I’m rambling, sorry. My curiosity right now is, has anyone ever adapted a pocket ship for rowing? I believe that of John stable right now the Faering Curser would be top contender. I keep looking at Pocket ship and thinking that would be much more comfortable to sleep in. Oh well, it’s just a dream.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: To dream the impossible dream

I've been aboard PocketShip and have slept aboard the Faering Cruiser. I found the FC very comfortable, and what I saw aboard the PS makes me think that it's equally comfortable. I don't think you'll find any significant difference between sleeping on the two boats, as long as there's only one person sleeping aboard. When you get two or more, PocketShip wins hands down.

FWIW, I'd scull a PS rather than row it.

Laszlo

I figured I would hear from you Laszlo! Glad you chimed in seeing you are one of the privilege few who own an FC. I agree that the FC’s cabin would be fine for one, I was thinking about having space for two. Although after staring at the pictures of the FC, I really think I would completely reconfigure those access hatches. Remember, in these races especially the R2AK moving the boat by human power is essential. Do you really think you could efficiently move pocket ship by sculling? Thats why I have rejected Autumn leaves as a contender. I think the Autumn is gorgeous, but I just can see standing up and facing forward as an efficient means of propulsion for anything other than moving about a harbor.    

Hey Mike,

I've rigged a few R2AK boats and it's definitely an interesting dream.  Not to drive anyone away from CLC territory, but the SCAMP can be rowed and is supposedly quite comfy to sleep aboard.

With that being said, I just worked up a quote for someone to build an Angus sailing rowcruiser for the R2AK.  You might want to check that out as an option.

Hi Capt

I envy you being so close to the action! Believe me I don’t limit my dreaming to just CLC. I have looked closely at both the ships you mention. This one has also caught my eye.http://www.bedardyachtdesign.com/designs/sail/15-rog-micro-cruiser/

Having built one CLC kit, and seeing how complete and well designed it was. It just make them a little higher on the ol totem pole.

I've stumbled across that boat when I was looking for a boat to build to do the Texas 200 in.  Very cool!  It's one of the few "modern" looking designs that I actually like.  Before I got married and had a kid, I had a dream of solo circumnavigating, so I was looking for ways to make that happen on a budget.  Now, I'm thinking about taking my son with me (if he's interested) after he graduates high school.

I will tell you that after having 1-1/2 successes with CLC plans, I definitely lean that way for commissions.  The sailing version of the rowcruiser looked like a very solid design.  I'm also partial to designs that offer DXF files, which lend them to being cut out by a CNC machine.  I'm now 30 hours into my Passagemaker build and I haven't even started stitching yet.

Hey Mike, 

I am building a PocketShip presently and have also thought about the EC, but I am not sure it would be the appropriate boat for that race. I think PocketShip is a great boat, obviously! :) I also plan to one day boat camp, but still a ways off. From building her, she is too heavy to be able to row in my opinion and you would have to drag her off the beach. Maybe a 2 man team would work. I know I would be unable to push here without damaging the keel. If you are serious about doing the EC, which is a very skills required race, I would look at other designs. Keep up the dream! that is 1/2 the fun of what we do! 

Thanks

Ron

Wanderlust canoe looks taylor made for the ec..paddle,peddle or sail . Much less of an expenditure of time and money, easier to transport,can be slept aboard in a pinch  [though id bring a tent too] it would put that dream quite a bit closer.im building the ne dory and hope to do the ec soon.im devising various schemes for sleeping aboard

I have looked oh so close at the Waterlust Canoe. And you are right they do fit the bill very well. The only real issue is the lack of a dry sleeping space. I understand that you can stretch out in the cockpit if needed, but that’s a far cry from a dry sleeping space. If I were to go with the WC, I would not even consider it on option, just pack a tent.

I have come to the conclusion that this dream, slightly modified my not be completely out of reach. Maybe the R2AK is, but how about its sister race, the Seventy48? Seventy miles in 48 hours from Tacoma to Port Townsend. I am no way in shape for this….yet. If I make the commitment to train I will have a little over a year. My NE Dory may not be the perfect boat for this, but with the addition of the sliding seat mod it wouldn’t be half bad. I’m 57 years old, in no way an athlete but generally in good health. A year of endurance training would put me in prime condition. Maybe the dream is not so farfetched.

mjkesfly, are you aware of the entrant from Idaho in the R2Ak this year? I think a NE with oars.

Followed intently the last two races as friend had a boat entered. Will follow this one too I imagine.

Doing some research on a Mulegé to La Paz 200 mile solo expedition.

Team Popsicletoes. He is running the proving grounds in what looks like a stock NE Dory. And he is form my hometown, Boise Id!!!!!!!!!! Go Popsicletoes!!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.