My first trailer experience.

I took my eldest daughter fishing today. First time out for the season and the first time I used my new trailer. I discovered I cant see the boat behind my truck. I'm used to a travel trailer blocking my view. Next time I will remove my tailgate before I hitch up the boat. When I got to the lake I lowered my tailgate and I had no trouble backing down the ramp. I backed into the water very slowly, I had my daughter positioned so she could oversee. I told her to stop me the moment the boat showed any sign of floating. I wanted to get some hip waders before I left but had not been able to find any I could afford. It turns out that hip waders would have been overkill. I did have to step into the water just a little bit, not much. I had a pair of sandals with me just in case. Rubber boots are being ordered. That water was so cold I am surprised it was liquid! My feet were in the water less than 30 seconds and I had a hard time walking out. I could not feel my feet at all. Now I truly understand why people drown when they go overboard in cold water. We fished for an hour or two, not even a nibble.... Oh well we had a fun time together. I had a bit of trouble backing the empty trailer down the ramp. Even with the tailgate down I simply cannot see the trailer alone without nearly standing in my seat and twisting around like a corkscrew. I didn't bother trying to float the Dory back onto the trailer. We both just grabbed a side and picker her up, Dory's aren't that heavy. Love my new trailer, all the hassles of putting it together were well worth it.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: My first trailer experience.

Hey Mike,

Looks like you had a classic first trailer experience.  The fact that you did it with the water temp just above freezing only adds to the "learning opportunity".  There are various kits that clip onto the trailer that can help you visualize smaller trailers.  Standing ankle deep in ice water can definitely give you a brain-freeze.  You already figured out the tailgate trick.  Whatever depth you need to sink the trailer to launch the dory is also just a bit deeper than what's needed to pull the dory up onto the trailer without undue cranking while she self-centers on the bunks. 

Regardless, if you had a good day out with your daughter, it was a resounding success.  These memories are what makes our kids turn out to be useful adults.

You'll be considerably more successful on future ventures as you learn the nuances of launching and recovering.  Different ramps, weather conditions and ramp/crowd conditions will also add to your skillset.  The important thing is to always err on the side of caution and learn from your mistakes.  We've all been through it, whether we're 16 or 76...

A couple of these little guides and you'll be able to guide it back . Some put them sideways instead of verticle so you can see them with the back mirrors.  I do recommend two, one on each side. A fellow backing with just one thought it was on the other side. Which made sense since it was a long way away from the part of my truck he hit.

https://www.rackwarehouse.com/yakima-8008114-rack-and-roll-trailer-safety-pole.html

Just a small piece of advice for pulling trailers.  Create and use a checklist.  Using this checklist will save you dollars  and/or heartbreak.  My checklist:  1. hitch is securly on ball and safety pin inserted.  2. lights connected.  3. trailers front wheel up and locked.  4.  safety chains crossed and hooked on hitch.  5. double checked boat tie downs.  If you stop for gas or whatever, check it all again.   Keep this checklist with the vehicle and remember to use it.  Safe boating !

A trick i use when solo launching... tie a rope that is a little longer than your trailer to your boat after you unhook your wench. Hook other end to wench, back boat into water and let it float off of trailer. Ease forward and pull trailer just out of water and it will pull your boat back to you. Unhook and park.

Just remember to unhook. I saw someone forget to at the local ramp. When he pulled away, the boat acted as a water brake, the line broke and swept across the dock. Fortunately no one was injured.

Laszlo 

When I was in early grade school, we still had a black and white TV. Just a few years ago. I was with my Grandparents waiting our turn at the launch ramp. I believe this would have been lake Mead, NV. I watched as an elderly couple (she had pink hair and a pink poodle) was backing down the ramp. The hubby was in his boat and the wife was backing into the water. I don’t know how it happened but the boat, trailer and Lincoln town car all went into the lake. The poor gal was neck deep in water and her pink poodle was standing on the back of the seat barking its fool head off. The husband was barking louder than the poodle! Grampa had to go help pull them out before we could launch and go fishing. I must admit, that whole seen was going through my head as I backed down the ramp! I made sure I was in park and the brake was applied before I stepped out of the cab!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.