A bit of a surprise

I finished assembling my trailer last night. Today I went to set my NE Dory on the trailer and get everything adjusted to fit. I have no ability to store my dory out of the weather during the winter. I had placed a brand new tarp over the boat last fall. I have been exceedingly diligent all winter long with keeping snow and water from puddling up on the boat. At one point I found a small tear in the tarp, but it was tiny and up toward the peak of the tent. I expected a little puddle of water in the boat, oh boy was I wrong. I pulled the tarp off and the boat was nearly half full of water. I didn't expect that!

On the positive side of this little surprise, I grabbed a handy 5 gal bucket and started bailing to get the water out. I have not yet built up the courage to attempt a capsize drill with my boat, on my todo list for this summer. Well I now know the stupid little bailing pail I have been carrying around is useless. It took much longer with the 5 gal bucket than I had expected. If I was out on a lake in cold weather I would pass out from hypothermia long before I could clear the boat with that tiny little thing. I think I will get a 2.5 gal bucket to carry with my for the future.

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: A bit of a surprise

Dunno why you’d think a 2.5 gallon bucket’d be faster for hand-bailing than a 5? As a suggestion I’d look at and consider any of the inexpensive, hand-operated bilge pumps first. Surprising how much water weighs when you’re trying to lift it up & over the gunwales with a bucket; maybe that’s why you think smaller bucket might be more practical?

You misunderstood. I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I have been carrying around a half gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off. Thinking this would be a fine for bailing. HA! I found a old 2.5 plastic bucket in my garage. It will float if it goes over the side, but its not so huge that it will get in the way when I am sailing. And heck I can fill it with water and toss a trout or two in if I need to! Win-win.

You might want to think about storing the boat upside down.  I'd try to find a middling-heavy white polypro tarp to put over that.  The blue ones tend to flog color off onto your nice boat when the breeze gets up.  You might want to work some lengths of hose or some such crosswise between the boat and the tarp to give it some room to breath.

I've found that large liquid laundry soap jugs make good bailers.  Thicker material than milk jugs, and better handles.  Cut out the bottom, of course, pull out the inside spout, and then glue the cap back on.  Makes a great one-handed scoop.  Don't forget the lanyard.

.....Michael

I had thought about storing it upside down. This was the first winter, so I learned. Thanks for the laundry jug tip. That sounds good,

File in the for what it’s worth folder...   Some years ago Wooden Boat Mag did a story on bailing and pumps. If memory serves they settled on a 2.5 gal pail or canvas bucket. 5 gallons of water is very heavy and tires one out too fast. Hand operated pumps couldn’t move as much water as a bucket unless they were very large. I used a 1/2 gal bleach bottle for bailing a white water canoe for decades - they will tax your forearm but work pretty well if you’re motivated. I like the idea of a canvas bucket. It’ll squash down flat and won’t scuff your finish.l Doubt I’ll ever get around to sewing one up though ;-p

Cheers,

E

West Marine

I like a big bucket in my dory. I store it before the mast when sailing and it holds my anchor and anchor rope (or odds and ends). Nice to keep muddy rope from soiling the boat.

Just because you have a big bucket, you don't have to fill it full of water! I lift what I can manage.

I like the idea of using the bucket to store an anchor. So far I have not aquiered one. Something I was contemplating for this summe summer. 

I've been thinking about keeping appropriately sized dry sacks handy for bailing.  Has anybody tried that?  In white water, we just always dumped the canoe when it got too full.  

Hooper

By the way, a bit of sail tape will get you more milage out of your tarp.  If you can identify chafe areas before the hole appears, duct tape will protect it for a long time.     

Mike,

I've stored my Peeler Skiff on her trailor, covered with a tarp, for the last 4 winters. Keeping rain or snow from pooling on the tarp was always a problem. This past winter, my wife suggested using a couple of children's pup tents ($20 at Walmart or Amazon) under the tarp. The pup tents have springy fiberglas frames that peak the tarp. Worked like a charm!

Cheers,

Dick

I just finished capsize testing my NE Dory with 4 differnt configurations.

I used a 10 quart bucket and in the configuration with the least water it took 40 scoops (never a full bucket) to get the water level down to about 2 inchs.  I will be looking for a 10 quart square bucket to get more water per scoop as the water level gets lower.

Best cruising configuration - 5 dry bags - about 60 lbs of gear strapped to the hull per CLC dwgs, anchor in sandspikes mesh bag tied to cleats at base of CB, 60 lb buoyoncy bags at the rails on both sides of CB trunk - water 5 inchs below the top of CB .

Stirrup attached at base of aft thwart for boarding - minimized additional water when boarding but you need to be quick. 

Daysail configuration - 120lb buoyancy bags at rail by CB, 60 lb buoyancy bags at the rail in front the aft most seat - Water level 6 - 7 inchs below top of CB, at level of the center thwart

I am happy I know what to expect (all of above in calm water)

I carry a 3 gallon canvas bucket for bailing, with a lanyard clipped to a pad eye.  It doesn't take up much space, it's kind to the brightwork, and I can stick a big thirsty sponge inside as well.  Plus it looks nice and nautical.  If I'm planning to anchor, I carry a second one with the anchor, chain, and rode.  Works well for me.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/bucket-water-canvas-10--x-10--3-gallon-14035.html

hokker

Very shipshape, that.  Not real expensive, either.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.