blush??

I'm working on a Cheasapeake 16. I epoxied the deck with two coats, sanding between. I sanded after the final coat as well. All looked well, I even wiped it down with alcohol and thought I was ready for clear coat.

I turned the boat over to do some final touch ups on the bottom and when I turned it back over tonight I found what might be blush. With the weather we have been having water had condensed on the boat. This epoxy has been set for at least a month and I never saw anything like this before. I tried the scothbrite, warm water and soap trick and it does nothing. I tried hand sanding with120 grit sandpaper and it just made a mess of everything. It gums up in the paper but does seem to go away on the boat. I turned to a putty knife and it works pretty good. The bad part is that most of the deck is spotted with this.

Is it blush and or is there an easier way to get it off? Hopefully the pic will stay posted long enough.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: blush??

Bummer... I’d be sorely disappointed to find what you’ve described. I can’t see your image (not gonna pay PB what they’re asking for, ever) but what experience I’ve had with amine blush has come off readily with Scotchbrite & water. If you’re getting gummy sandpaper, and stuff comes off on a putty knife, it sounds more like poorly cured resin, even after a month.

It comes off with the putty knife but it is far from gummy or soft. The sand paper does clean up but it doesn't take long to clog it up. Debating if I want to try a sanding mesh. I would have thought that sanding before would have taken this off if it is blush. Not appearing until it got wet is totally puzzling.

This is more frustrating that I thought I was about to clear coat. Looks like another couple of weeks by the time I re epoxy and sand. Better now than after clear coat. 

Got it cleaned off. Used the putty knife to get most of it off and then used 80 grit paper and hand sanded to take it the rest of the way. Other grits,120 or 180, worked but 80 was the way to go. Using a power sander just smeared it around.

I think it was blush but not what I have seen in the pictures. This looked more like fine white sand and would even leave pitting after using the putty knife. I think usng the power sander warmed it up and smeared it.

That sounds almost exactly like uncured epoxy - I ran into a similar situation a few months ago and it was a right pain to get rid of. I don't think amine blush would be so difficult to remove.

In my case a dirty hardener pump was to blame, as it was throwing off the mix ratio.

I tried settting up my own web page offered by my internet provider so I could post a pic. The file is there but not showing up.

I'm wondering if it wasn't remanants of an opps that I had earlier. I use MAS epoxy and accordiing  to their web site you can recoat if the first coat is tacky. Well, I did that and the last coat dried before the first.I had a  hard surface but once I started sanding it was a mess!! I took it down to bare wood with mineral spirits (?). I then cleaned with alcohol and sanded but still wonder. The day that this "blush" happened was the warmest that it has been in two months. The coat that is on there now is hard and far from gummy.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.