blow torch epoxy

I saw this mentioned in a post from 2009 but there were no replies. Looking to see if anyone has used a blowtorch to remove bubbles from epoxy? Apparently this is what the pros do when pouring out epoxy in furniture. Thinking of trying it instead of tipping out. May be more trouble than it's worth...

Will

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: blow torch epoxy

Get agood heat gun. Lot less dangerous. I built 4 boats with epoxy. Works well. 

Yes, it's a very effective method, especially on thicker pours, but also on coating.  Blowtorch takes a very fast swipe or can easily scorch so takes a little practice.  As stated above, a heat gun is much more forgiving for the novice.

One way to reduce bubbles is to not press down on the foam roller and lightly tip it with a foam brush before it starts to kick.  People try to get the last bit of epoxy out of their foam roller by pressing down and it introduces bubbles.  It's not worth it.

Great tip on not pressing into the roller--I think that was an issue on my exterior hull.

I did some research on the heat gun v. torch methods and there is some debate about whether it's the heat that causes the bubbles to rise and pop or the CO2 produced by the torch and, I assume, it's effect on the epoxy's surface tension. (I'll let a chemical engineer chime in on that one).

One issue I've seen with heat guns is that the airflow tends to "push" on the wet epoxy and cause runs. And an added benefit with the torch is that it also incinerates surface dust. I think I'll give it a try and ease into it using a low flame at a good distance. Stand by for updates this weekend! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.