To cut or not to cut Eastport Nesting Pram

Building an ENP, but I'm thinking of leaving it uncut, at least for the first year.  I have access to a little more storage space than I expected, so cutting may not be necessary, possibly forever.  I'd like to build it so I could go either way, and I'm thinking of finding or fabricating some durable, weatherproof replacement for the cardboard, which looks to be about 1/4" thick.  Perhaps some 1/4" rubber or plastic "washers" or spacers to slide over the bolts that join the center bulkheads together?  I'd  seal with epoxy both sides of each bulkhead and the inside of the hull at the base of that cavity before assembly.  Incidentally, the boat will be stored upside down on a dock when not in use, so I'm not planning to try to seal off the top of the space between the bulkheads. 

Comments--pro or con--and advice welcome. 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: To cut or not to cut Eastport Nesting Pram

My take is that that boat was designed to be built either as a one-piece or as nesting. I'd pick one and stick with it.

Laszlo

RE: To cut or not to cut Eastport Nesting Pram

Sounds like the measures you'd take to get rid of the cardboard and then prevent moisture from getting trapped in the gap would be only a bit less trouble than going ahead with separating the parts.  If you don't saw her in twain now, my guess is you never will.  Having already paid the penalty of having the weight of the extra bulkhead, you may as well gain back the advantage of being able to separate the boat whenever you want...without needing a saw.

Remember, just because you can separate the boat doesn't mean you must always do so when she's not in use.  If you spray some silicone over the mating surface of the rubber gasket (the other surface should be affixed with rubber cement) so that the parts will separate cleanly, you can leave the parts attached for an extended period of time if you don't need to store the boat between outings.

Our PMD take-apart will often spend several weeks in the assembled state, sometimes upside down.  The whole business is quite strong, so I wouldn't worry about "breaking" the boat by storing her upside down or some such when assembled.  My adult son and I have sat on the upturned, assembled boat without harm.  We did add large SS flat washers under the star nuts to spread the load a bit when tightening up so there'd be no chance of making "divots" in the bulkheads by over-tightening.

Besides, if you don't finish the job, you'll never get done answering bystanders' questions like, "What's this here extra piece for?"  Instead, even landlubbers will see the thing and exclain, "Oh, how cool!  Your boat can be taken apart!"

The sawing in twain event is a good time to have friends and family around to help, both physically and emotionally, so pick a day, arrange for pizza afterwards, buck up your courage, and take up the saw!  I'd save any adult beverages for afterward, though you might want to prescribe 30 cc Rum PO PRN for the sawyer, by way of steading his nerves, being careful not to make him unsteady by overdosing him.  <;-)

.....Michael 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.