Car top and Annapolis Wherry?

I’ll be building a Wherry this summer in Brooklin, and I’m wondering if any of you have any advice about transporting a Wherry on a roof rack.  I have an SUV with standard factory rails and currently, no cross bars.  I can get the cross bars from Thule and other sites, but I wonder about this approach to confidently transporting an 18 foot Wherry.  Safe?  Safe at highway speeds? Grateful for any advice.  

Thanks.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Car top and Annapolis Wherry?

I have car topped a lot of boats. Assuming the rowing mechanism is easily removable, I would get crossbars (I have yakima round bars with their 'L' shaped brackets for this type of transport) and carry it inverted on the bars, bow forward.  I pad my wooden gunwales at the contact points with foam pipe insulation that I purchase at Home Depot in six foot lengths and cut to the size I desire.   I have strong, soft cloth ribbon that I tie in a loop around something under my hood near the hood seams on each side. I never remove these, I just tuck them in someplace when they are not in use. I pull them out and loop ropes through them for my bow tiedowns and the paint on my car has never been damaged. When I am alone, I use what I call 'cheater bars'. They are made by Yakima and fit inside their cross bars. They extend so you can lift one end of the boat and place it on the cheater bar then lift the other end and swing it to the rack. I have a piece of foam pipe insulation cut to match the length of the cheater bar as they are quite slippery. I also carry a pad to place on the ground under the end of the boat that is down while I am lifting the other end onto the bar. This solution works for me, there are many others.

Mike

RE: Car top and Annapolis Wherry?

I have car topped a lot of boats. Assuming the rowing mechanism is easily removable, I would get crossbars (I have yakima round bars with their 'L' shaped brackets for this type of transport) and carry it inverted on the bars, bow forward.  I pad my wooden gunwales at the contact points with foam pipe insulation that I purchase at Home Depot in six foot lengths and cut to the size I desire.   I have strong, soft cloth ribbon that I tie in a loop around something under my hood near the hood seams on each side. I never remove these, I just tuck them in someplace when they are not in use. I pull them out and loop ropes through them for my bow tiedowns and the paint on my car has never been damaged. When I am alone, I use what I call 'cheater bars'. They are made by Yakima and fit inside their cross bars. They extend so you can lift one end of the boat and place it on the cheater bar then lift the other end and swing it to the rack. I have a piece of foam pipe insulation cut to match the length of the cheater bar as they are quite slippery. I also carry a pad to place on the ground under the end of the boat that is down while I am lifting the other end onto the bar. This solution works for me, there are many others.

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.