Small �tabs� at edge of cuts

On the CNC cut plywood the boat we received has some “tabs” that are about 1/4 inch long and maybe 1/8 tall.  There are 4 or 5 along the lengths of the boat parts.

Are these intended to be sanded off?  Since there are some on the side pieces and bottom peices they will not sit smoothly against each other.

I do not see any mention of the tabs in the instructions (although it is possible I missed those details).

At what step should they be removed or should they be retained?

The boat in question is the Chesepeake Sport Tandem.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Small �tabs� at edge of cuts

When a CNC machine’s used to ‘cut out’ pieces from a full sheet, those tabs are reminders of the portions left behind to maintain the sheet’s integrity so parts not yet cut (profiled?) will be the proper size & shape.

A kit ‘assembler’ (you, in this case) needs to grep where a part being looked at (grep meaning ‘understand’ or recognize here) is to be fitted in place in the completed craft so as to distinguish alignment tabs (KEEP ‘EM!!) from those leftover tab things.

The alignment tabs usually are longer & deeper, the deeper pretty much equal to the thickness of plywood for the CNC’d  part into which there’s a slot they’ll be fitted to.

Bulkheads often have tabs you want to keep, hull panels not so likely... if that helps any.

Agreed with spclark. 

I'm building a NE dory. The bulkheads have a few functional tabs that I had to keep. Other panels had smaller tabs that were just left over from the CNC machine. 

A few passes with a block plane and the extra tabs were gone. 

spclark,

I think you mean "grock", as in " to understand it so thoroughly that you merge with it and it merges with you" rather than grep, which is a Unix/Linux search utilty.

Laszlo

Lazlo you’re 100% correct!

I’m no programmer, that’s now apparent!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.