Eastport Nesting Pram planking questions

Hi all,

I'm building an ENP from kit and wiring up the hull with some questions.

#1.  In my photo below (viewing the ENP from above), plank #4 gently flares outward at the forward transom.  Is this normal, or should I unwire the "plank(s)" and either tilt the forward transom a bit more forward (which I think might help but not likely result in a completely fair curve as plank 4 approaches the bow) or plane the upper port and starboard profiles of the forward transom?

#2.  In wiring the successive planks to the bottom and to each other, the plank ends should seem to want to "tuck into" the notches on the forward and aft transoms.  The next photos show the plank ends "almost make it" but not quite.  Are these instances where I should coax the planks to lap a bit more so the ends fall neatly into their respective slots?

and

And last (for now),

3.  The next photo shows the aft end, bottom, of my pram from the outside.  Here the first plank doesn't lap onto the pram's bottom as fully as it perhaps should.  I have avoided cinching the wire stitches too tightly as the manual cautions against this during the initial assembly stage, but bringing this first plank into closer approximation to the pram's bottom would seem to help address the issue in question #2 above.  Should I be coaxing this first plank into closer approximation, perhaps with blocks affixed to the bottom and plank #1 and using a C-clamp to help draw them together.  (There is weight in the bottom of the pram already to induce its curve - but maybe not enough weight...?)

Thank you all for your thoughts,

All the best,

Mark Nunlist

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Nesting Pram planking questions

Good questions and great phtography! Your close-ups make the gaps look bigger than they are, but be assured that as you tighten the wires, the gaps will diminish.

I haven't built the ENP but my NE-Dory shares the lap-stitch process. Unless you have strong reason to the contrary, I'd advise you to trust in the accuracy of your parts and I wouldn't worry about the "flare" in plank #4. It makes the boat look sexy.

As to your other questions, I'd be more concerned about the gaps between the planks and bulkheads than about the extent of overlap in the planks. If the #1 plank slides a bit toward the bottom, that should let it rest flat against the transom. As it pulls down, the #2 plank will no longer be pried away from the transom and it can lie flat against the transom. Etc. The same thing is true for the plank/bulkhead joints. You want them as snug as possible. Small gaps in places will be filled by the fillets, but my goal was to see little daylight at those joints. 

Tighten and jiggle in incremental steps, always trying to reduce the gaps between the planks and transom. You want those joints both tight and strong.

Having said all that, epoxy fillets are quite strong and will generally keep you out of trouble. Enjoy the process (and minor gambles).

Thank you, Birch2, for your comments and advice.

I plan to attempt to pull plank #1 into closer approximation to the pram's bottom, using blocks attached to the bottom and the plank close to the aft transom, and a C-clamp spanning the blocks as others have recommended on CLC's forum.  I agree that doing so will likely also help close the remaining gaps between planks and bulkheads. 

My wire stitches are not tightened down, but I'm guessing I should loosen the stitches in the region of the C-clamp maneuver to allow movement.  Does anyone recommend unwiring planks #2 through #4 (i.e., starting over) in order to close the lap-gap in photo #4 above?

Also, I haven't noticed an outward flare of plank #4 at the bow (as in my first photo) on other Eastport Prams so regardless of how my pram's bow may look, I'm wondering if it's right.  Once epoxy is added, that's the shape it shall be.

Thanks again,

Mark

Questions now solved!  For the benefit of other builders:

First, the emailed pdf plans of the Eastport Nesting Pram suggest that plank #4 does flare outboard slightly as the forward plank-end meets the transom - the better to keep the pram's inevitable bow wave from inundating its occupants! 

And second, regarding coaxing the plank laps to more closely approximate, I used the "screwed on temporary block and C-clamp method" as shown in the photo below to bring the planks together.  This resulted in the plank edges nestling into their respective transom notches, and closing the gaps between planks and bulkheads.  I only needed to loosen slightly the wire stitches closest to the blocks in order to free the assembly during C-clamp tightening.

Thank you, all CLC Forum readers and posters.  Your collective advice is very helpful.

All the best,

Mark

MarK:

We bulit a Passagemaker kit a couple years ago.  While maybe not quite the same thing as the Eastport, I'm assuming the assembly sequence would be similar.

I looked back at some of the "shopcam" photos we did to document our process (digital camera on tripod taking shots at intervals) to verify my memory, which is that, after the epoxy precoating, we first wired the #1 planks to the bottom, being careful to get the "lapstitch" joints on the bottom edges of the planks fully in in contact with the edges of the bottom panel allalong the entire length.  We then proceded with #2 and #3, port and starboard, and only then did we spot the midship frame (temporarily, without wiring in) to help hold whole business as we wired on the #4 planks.

Only after we were sure we had everyting pulled up fair, with all plank seams butted up snugly and evenly along their entire lengths, did we wire in the bow and stern transoms.  While the fits of the transoms to the planks weren't perfect, they all sungged upreasonably well, and we could see that the bow transom, especially, would have needed substantial bevelling to make a completley tight fit, as one would need to do in traditional boatbuilding where we weren't relying on epoxy thickened with wood flour to fill in and provide structural strength there.

Anyway, I think the key to getting these "lapstitch" kits to produce the intended shape is to get the plank edges all snugged up progressively from the bottom panel up, working from amidships towards the ends, before trying to wire in the transoms.  There should not be any major gaps like that along the seams.  Does the Eastport manual instruct you differently?

If not, I'm going to go out on a limb here and advise you to remove the transoms and then go around to snug up all of the plank seams, beginning with the bottom planks and working your way up each side progressively until you get a fair-looking shape with no serious gaps along the seams.

Once you've achieved that, I'm betting the transoms will fit a whole lot better.  Once you get those wired in, you'll want to make sure that everything is fair,square and plumb before you start applying epoxy to lock things in place.  You can twist and jiggle things a bit, sort of like a loosly woven basket, to achieve this, and you need to keep checking at each step as you start adding the internal structural members and applying epoxy.  I remember that, at one point, after we had epoxied in the transoms, we had use a length of rope to pull things back to being square and hold 'em in place before locking more internal structure.  Keep checking that the diagonals from each corner to the center of the opposite end are equal, and pull her back square as needed.

Hope that helps.  Sing out if you have any questions.

If it will help, I can post links to our daily "shopcam" photo sets on Flickr for you.

Lapstitch is like...magic.  Trust it, and you'll be fine.  <;-)

.....Michael, a.k.a. Gramps

Hi "Gramps,"

Thanks for your post and advice.  The Eastport Nesting Pram manual is pretty specific in sequencing the wiring of planks and insertion of transoms and bulkheads.  I like to follow the mamual as best I can, but I also know the CLC staff is super available and helpful to answer questions which may arise along the way.

In any event, I think my problems (of the moment, at least) are solved.

All the best,

Mark

Mark:

Judging by that last photo you sent, which you posted just as I was composing my earlier post, it looks like you've gotten the plank laps snugged up and are now on your way to getting all to fit together nicely.  You've got the right attitude in taking your time, making sure that each step is completed successfully before moving on to the next, and stopping to get advice when something doesn't seem right.

These CLC kits are very well executed, which helps make the building more fun and less fraught with danger.  Have fun, don't rush, and keep your eye on the prize, which is having her on the water to enjoy with family and friends!

.....Michael, a.k.a. Gramps

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.