Spoon blade vs. Flat blade?

Will be building a Chester Yawl and will have a sliding set-up with 9.5' spoon oars for exercise rowing. Will also want to row around the lake (some wind and slop) with an adult passenger.

Would spoon blade or flat blade oars be better for this situation? Why?

Many thanks,

DaveJ

NH

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Spoon blade vs. Flat blade?

I bought spoon blade oars for my Skerry which is pretty much an exercise boat but used in the sea. In my experience there's no real difference in rowing with spoon blades - I bought them because I thought they'd look a lot better with the boat. They are a bit lighter than my other oars so a bit easier to use but performance wise I don't see any improvement. 

At cruising speeds it's hard to notice any difference in performance based on blade shape.

What you DO notice, at least with the flat-blade oars we sell, is that the flat-blades are quite a lot heavier. They just aren't as delicately shaped. I think they're intended for more utilitarian use.

One very (VERY) small issue with the spoons is that as you pull away from shore you always have to get the spoons facing the right direction...not a big deal if they are facing backwards though.

Also, I dont know about the flat oars but my 8' CLC spoons have a nice "tip" of epoxy/varnish?  on the end to protect the end a little when you use them as push poles.  Looks like they dried them hanging handle up and maybe this is just the drippings

Curt

How good are the spoon blades for backing up (pushing on them rather than pulling?). Also, are they more delicate than flat blades?

Mine don't appear to be any less delicate than other oars I've owned or used. I treat them as oars using them as I would any other oar, pushing as opposed to pulling, pushing of the beach and away from rocks, whatever, and they perform just fine. For me they just suit the boat better.

A little indulgence on my part, having built the Skerry, I wanted nice looking oars (but couldn't afford Shaw and Tenney spoons and local Turkish (Mediterranean style using thole pins) oars would have looked strange. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.