Coming Soon: Scale Models Kits for CLC Designs

Any news on scale model kits since Boatbuilder Update - May 18, 2017?

22 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Coming Soon: Scale Models Kits for CLC Designs

I saw some of the assembled boat models at CLC HQ last week. They looked really nice. Don't know how close the kits are to being ready to ship.

Laszlo

Hey c’mon, it’s NOV 1 not APRIL 1 today...

You’re serious about this? This is really in the works?

Any hints of what the scale used will be?

My first introduction to watercraft was with a wood kit model back maybe 50+ years ago, even now the fragrance of the plywood included brings back pleasant memories.

RE: Coming Soon: Scale Model Kits for CLC Designs

The laser-cut scale model kits are real. The Northeaster Dory model (1/8th scale, 25 inches long) drops at the end of this month, in time for Christmas.

The documentation, which includes a complete start-to-finish how-to video, takes us as long as for a full-sized boat!

CLC Northeaster Dory Model

CLC Northeaster Dory Scale Model

CLC Scale  Model Dory Kit

Filming the how-to video.

CLC Scale Northeaster Dory Model

CLC Scale Model Northeaster Dory

NEXT UP is an Annapolis Wherry scale model, complete with functioning sliding seat:

CLC Annapolis Wherry Scale Model

John, that photo of you at the work table is...priceless.  We hope you never lose your childlike (not to be confused with "childish") joy of messing about with boats!  <;-)

.....Michael

Yep, those are the very boats that I saw. Of course, my first thought was - no lug rig?

😁

Laszlo

I will be buying the Dory kit. It will get modified for a Lug. Just need a piece of scrap for the Mast thwart and it's knees. A Yard, and maybe if we are lucky the cloth for the sail will be enough to cut a lug.    

Here's one I made earlier  :)

A 1:10 scale model of a Skerry made from full size plans. I transferred all the measurements onto AutoCad and used mainly 1mm plywood for the hull. It was done stitch and glue as well using telephone wire for the stitches.

If I have time this winter (and finish the two other models I'm making) I may just do a 1:10 scale Chesapeake 17LT.  :)

Yambo,

That is a very nicely done model. Does the rudder kick up?

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo! Yes, the rudder kicks up and turns - everything is functional. 

You can see the line to pull the rudder back down in this photo

and this is the main sheet block - with a fishing swivel assisting! Rub rails, dagger board grip and rudder cheek pieces are all in mahogany. 

I forgot to say that I have the study plans for the Faering Cruiser and I might, just might, see if I can draw the parts accurately enough on AutoCad from the study plans and make one of them too this winter, but I have quite a lot on already - a sail rig for my 17 LT and a S & G Night Heron are planned. 

This thread is taking me way back to college.  My roommates and I all sat around several evenings building models.  I can still smell the model glue we used and remember how goofy we got from the fumes.

This is a very interesting concept.  I have the plans for both the Eastport Pram and the Passagemaker.  I could develop models from those in AutoCAD, print them out and cut out my kits.  How cool would that be to have on display on the mantle?

If I ever get an X-Carve 1000 (hopefully this Spring), it would be easy to cut out the kits (or possibly a laser on my 3D printer).  Hmmm...

Besides the two models discussed ( Annapolis Werry and Northeaster dory)  what are the other planned models? Pocketship?   

Jeff

Yambo, that is impressive. So many times the models look nice from a distance, but are non-functional. It's good to see someone finishing the job.

Let me know if you need any close-up photos of the Faering Cruiser.

Laszlo

I'm planning to build a model of the NE Dory.

I shall call it "Mini NE" :-D

Wonderfull!

Mister John is a marketing genious! There are many people who dream of a CLC boat, but who do not have the capabilities to buy and built a CLC kit full size (no time, no space, no money, etc). All those people will jump on such  scale models, and this will make their dream true! That's no nice of you, Mister John! Thanks! 

(will there be a scale model for the Outrigger ?)

Hi John

Any chance we can get a date when the Dory kit will be available? How about a price? I am looking forword to ordering!

>>>
>Any chance we can get a date when the Dory kit will be available?
>>>

The end of this month-ish.

>>>>How about a price? I am looking forword to ordering!
>

$100-ish.

Turns out that when the model kit is a precisely scaled-down version of the real thing, it's as much work to document as the real thing! The start-to-finish video took a lot of time, too.

CLC Northeaster Dory Model Kit

John,

Will you sell the thin plywood for plans builders? Serious question. Some of us have been accumulating CLC plans for years and have the skills to scale them down and cut the wood. Or, we can take the lines off boats that we already own. That way we wouldn't have to wait years for the documentation for our favorite boat (only for the t-shirt).

Laszlo

That thin plywood should be available at the more comprehensive hobby stores and some craft stores. As for the T-shirts, I think you're on your own. Maybe CLC will sell plain T's with their logo on the front and you can have your favorite project put on the back.

Search for "model plywood" online, and you'll get plenty of hits.  The model airplane crowd use a lot of it (a fellow sailor likes his scratch built model planes).

I can get plywood down to 0.4mm thickness but I have to get it from Germany - I use this company for those people outside of the USA:  http://shoptest.arkowood-shop.com/Hoelzer/Sperrholz/Flugzeugsperrholz-Birke/  I'm sure it will be available in the States - as Mummichog says, the aircraft modellers will be using it.

Which reminds me, I need to get a few sheets of 0.4mm ply to make a scale replica of my Chesapeake 17LT and possibly the sail rig too this winter.  :)  Earlier this year I helped a class at the local primary school make about 24 model kayaks. Nick Schade kindly let me use his Ganymede kayak plans - just 6 pieces of plywood, some matchsticks and telephone wire for the stitches.Here's one of them 

Whilst not difficult to make - the plywood can be cut with scissors - I can tell you that coaming rings are very tricky!

We're stocking modeling plywood in 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8" in order to accurately scale the thickness and bending characteristics of full-scale marine plywood.

It's been tricky to find that plywood in the requisite quality and quantity! We hadn't planned to sell the modeling plywood ala carte but maybe if there's enough demand...

Having the stuff laying around, along with a big laser cutter, has been cool for my extracurricular hobby, designing and building RC airplanes:

(CLC is definitely not getting into aircraft, before you start in on me.)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.