Peeler Bulkhead Taping

I've made fillets with thickened epoxy, applied fiberglass tape while the fillets were green, and applied one coat of unthickened epoxy to the tape before the fillets had cured.  It looks like the joints are all sound.

I did the joints a few a a time over an extended period, and the single coat of unthickened epoxy is cured hard.  The tape weave is not filled, and the edges of the tape are particularly rough.

Should I sand, continue filling the weave, and work toward a smooth surface on the tape, or is it too late to make the joints look better?

Thanks.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Bulkhead Taping

Mark,

I've only built 1 Peeler, so I'm not an expert. It sounds like you followed the manual pretty well and you are correct that the fillets are sreucturely sound. I would suggest sanding the edges of the fillerts with 80-120 grit paper on a rubber pad to knock down any high spots, use paper backed by a sponge to sand the curved surfaces, and brush a thin layer of resin on them and see how they look. Unfortunately, we usually do the fillets before we're really comfortable with the techniques.

Cheers,

Dick

Thank you for the advice.  I think I'll try cleaning up some of the fillets that won't be visible, and see how things go.

Using a very sharp paint scraper removes a great deal of the selvege edge of the tape. I aways scrape that off beofre trying to fill the weave or sand. A good sharpe paint scraper is a wonderful tool. Keep it sharp with a good file.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.