Glassing a LapStich Boat

Greetings! I am currently building a Chester Yawl and I am not very pleased with my glassing job in the fore and aft tanks. I found that the glass would not make the angles and bubbles resulted (which I filled via syringe).

I've been poking around and I haven't found any really good instructions, especially videos. I especially find working around the lap fillets difficult. I need to get smarter before I work on anything more visible.

Can anyone suggest videos showing the technique, or even just some good instructions that would assist in improving my technique?

I watched an excellent demo at the CLC shop and wish I could watch it again and again!

Thanks!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing a LapStich Boat

While I haven't built a Chester Yawl, I can comment on glassing corners.  The larger the radius, the more success you will have.  I have found that a 1" radius fillet is easily glassed, while sharper corners will suffer from adhesion failures like you're experiencing.  Cut back bad the bad stuff, make a 1" radius putty knife, add thickened epoxy fillets, then re-glass.  I think you'll be much happier.  Don't let a shortcut now affect the longterm vitality of your creation.  Good luck and I hope things turn out well...

Thanks, CaptainSkully. That's what I was guessing was my issue but, since I am building a LapStitch boat, I know the "steps" should remain visible. The instructions show a very very small fillet that, at least for me, I couldn't get the glass to follow. If I create to much fillet the laps will be hidden. I am hoping somebody can provide guidance concerning the laps of the LapStitch boats.

I will be cautious to follow your guidance as I work the keel and bow. Thanks again!

It seems to me I should ask about the bubbles that remained along the lap-edges. I thickened some epoxy and injected it into every pocket of roughly an inch or longer but I still have smaller bubbles. I tried without thinkening first and the epoxy just ran back out of the pockets. I think we can assume that the wood was wetted with epoxy in each of these bubbles, and these bubbles are just within the fore and aft tanks.

Are there any non-cosmetic reasons for attempting to fill the small bubbles too?

Are folks comfortable with my approach to filling the bubbles using a syringe and slightly thickened epoxy?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.