New Shearwater Sport builder

Greetings everyone. I'm preparing to do my first kayak build (from plans). I've spend many hours researching on the internet, I've aquired most of the materials, I've built a couple of adjustable height sawhorses and practiced my scarf joints with a block plane. I'm hoping to get down to businesss this weekend. I appreciate all the info on this forum, it's been very helpful.

I have one question on Maroske deck fittings. Most instructions I've seen show the fittings installed before the deck has been attached. What I haven't found is instructions on fiberglassing the deck. I assume that you plug the holes then trim the fiberglass after it sets. Does anyone have any tips or techniques in this step?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New Shearwater Sport builder

I'm currently building a Shearwater Sport Sectional and am pretty far along. The deck is attached and in a day or two I'll be sawing the thing apart. But (such is the state of my ignorance) I have no idea what Maroske deck fittings are!

But my deck is attached and I certainly haven't installed anything. I assume the fittings are the bits of stretch cord that will go on the deck, but I'll be doing that later.

have installed the deck coaming and cut the openings for the hatches, as well as creating some of the support structure for the hatches.

My deck is entirely fiberglassed -- except for a final coating of epoxy to fill the weave.

Sorry I can't provide more specific help.   

Maroske fittings, as you point out, our almost always largely built before the deck is installed....so they require some careful pre-planning.

in implementing maroske fitting on a stitch and glue deck, you will often do all the back-side implementation prior to glassing the deck (in a strip built you often glass the inside and outside of the deck before attaching the deck to the hull)

so you need to take a bit of care when you glass the deck not to push a bunch of epoxy into the holes and blocking the tube you just created.  how you approach this can vary to simply being careful wetting out the cloth in the region to fashioning a little wax, paper  or silicone plug to prevent the epoxy from going down the tube.  when the deck is glassed and cured, you can then easily drill out the openings again.

the other thing you will need to plan for in maroske fittings is how the deck/hull are joined and how the back-side of a maroske fitting may interfere in the deck/hull joint and any internal seaming.  sometimes you have to make the fitting a little more inboard then you might have thought to address this issue.

Thanks for the info. I haven't completely commited to going this route yet but it is an interesting approach.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.