Petrel SG Recessed hatch joints

hi,

I have a 1/4 inch gap on the puzzle joint of the rear recessed hatch. I have pulled it apart 2x and still cannot close the gap. Any hints or there?

Thanks

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Petrel SG Recessed hatch joints

Third time was the charm! Sorry to bother the forum!

RE: Petrel SG Recessed hatch joints

Those hatch recesses are certainly a pain to stitch!  I will share something that I did on my Petrel Play SG that worked out quite well regarding the hatch recesses.  If you look ahead in the manual, you will see on p 118 that they call for you to grind one side out of the recess to create a drain scupper so that the recess does not hold water.  When I first saw the scupper's on CLC's demo build, I actually thought that this was a build error because they are pretty ugly.  

On my build, I created a drain hole instead of the scupper.  After stitching the deck but before filletting, I drilled two holes in the location where the scupper would have been, one in the side of the recess and the other immediately adjacent in the deck.  I then ran a small plastic tube through the two holes.  The tube/holes should be sized so that the tube fits snuggly.  

Then when it came time to fillet the underside of the deck, I put an extra large filet on the side of the recess just as if I where going the scupper route (page 92).  The only trick is to make sure that the fillet completely encases the plastic tube.

Once the fillet has completely cured, you can give the tube a stout pull, and it will come out leaving a completely sealed drain.  Lastly, I glassed over the holes when glassing the deck.  Once the glass cured, I redrilled the two holes.  The result is a drain for the recess that works well but is not a cosmetic eye sore.  If you look closely, the drain hole is the little dot in the red panel beside the fwd hatch.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.