Kaholo

Sooooo, I loaned my kaholo 12-6 to my ex-wife and her new man-friend. Hey, I did it for my kids. Long story, short: new man-friend allowed it to fly out of the back of his truck while cruising down the backroads of Colorado. Thankfully there's only cosmetic and minor structural damage, The bow bore the brunt, and road rash scraped away a quarter-sized chunk of the board right at the tip. It's entirely missing so I'll need to graft on new wood, glass ,and varnish. At least I'm asuming this is the route to go. Any sugestions on how to best achieve this? Road rash also exposed a 2' section of glass on the port-side rail. Can this just be recoated in unthickened epoxy, sanded, and finished per the norm? Finally, there's a section of exposed wood at the stern where the glass was completely rubbed away. The wood is furry but intact. Just sand and glass and sand again? Just wondering the best way to repair all this without having surfaces not match (ie. raised spots where new glass was applied if necessary). After three builds this is my first experience with a repair. Any advice is apprected! Apologies if this is covered in the tips section. I'll try and post pictures soon.

Thanks!

Patrick

Chesapeake 17LT "The Jolly Roger"

Kaholo 12-6 "Paddy"

Wood Duckling "Bucky"

P.S. I lost my workshop as I now live in a van down by the river (not really, but close) so space to repair is limited. 

PPS: Shameles plug: the undamaged Paddy is in this month's photo of the month contest. Rainbow picture.

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.