pocketship in a slip

I'm curious whether it would be practical to keep Pocketship in a slip for a season, if the it had anti-fouling below the waterline?

I'm drawn to these little pocket cruisers, (the Faering probably more attractive I guess) but I can't quite get past the thought that, even if launch and retrieval were as simple as shown in John's video where he drops it in and sails away, it would still be enough hassle, that I would tend to just not do it that often. So probably it would likely end up sitting on the trailer except for a maybe a couple of minor cruises a year.

In that sense, a Cape Dory Typhoon, or Pearson Ensign, that is in a slip, or on a mooring, ready to go, would be more likely to be used regularly.

It is nice to have something as easily trailered as Pocketship, or Faering. But how practical would it be to leave them in the water, months at a time, rigged, and ready to go?

--

eric

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: pocketship in a slip

I'm days away from launching my newly finished Pocketship.  Mine will live on its trailer, but near enough to a landing that I can leave the mast up.  With no powerlines or tree branches enroute to the ramp that's a nice compromise to having it in a slip - less expensive, too.     

Ogata,

It would be quite practical as long as you used the appropriate bottom paint, the spars had enough varnish and you had the right set of covers to protect the sails and other bits from sunlight, birds and rain. You may also want to make sure that there are multiple ways for rain to drain out in case anything gets clogged. Finally, you also need to make sure that there's plenty of ventilation so you don't get mildew and molds growing inside.

That said, I did the same thing with my Faering Cruiser that Robert's talking about for his Pocketship. I've rented a landslip where I leave it parked on its trailer. By adding a few modifications, I'm able to leave it on the trailer with the mast up and the sail ready to hoist. Then when I'm feel like sailing, I just tow it down the hill to the ramp, take off the cover, attach the lazy jacks and sheet, use the marina's hose to fill the ballast tanks and launch.

Coming back is just as easy, though it takes a bit longer since I use a hose to siphon the tanks dry.

At the end of the season, I take the mast, boom, yard and sail home for garage storage.

A water slip may not be any more convenient, other than skipping the actual launch and retrieval, because of the need to remove and replace the covers on the water instead of on land. You'll also eventually need more maintenance than if you stored it dry.

Have fun,

Laszlo

In addition to the excellent advice above, I would make sure that my bottom was supremely waterproof.  There's a huge difference between a daysail then back onto the trailer and 24/7 water pressure trying to get into your plywood planks for months at a time.  I'd overdo it on anything that makes the hull more waterproof (e.g. fiberglass, epoxy, barrier layer, bottom paint, etc.).

If you're willing to pay for the convenience, being able to stroll down to your boat with a cooler, cast off the dock lines and go sailing is wonderful.  No hassles with rigging or any of the fun that can be had at a launch ramp (either by yourself or with others).  You also usually have access to electricity and water at the dock which makes things easier like charging batteries and washing the boat down after a brisk sail or birds expressing their opinion of your craftsmanship.

With that being said, I trailer-sailed a 21' fiberglass boat for years before I was in a position to put her in a slip.  That didn't slow me down one bit and that was a boat I bought not built.

Good thoughts all.

Yeah, storing, and dry sailing it off a trailer at the marina is probably more practical. It would keep a nice, clean, slippery bottom and, it's true, it isn't really that much more work to get going.

I might get around to building a small sailboat one day, but probably not Pocket Ship. I noticed there is one for sale. They are nice boats, probably a little heavier than I might go for if I were building something myself.

--

eric

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.