Southwest Dory at Wooden Boat Show

I saw a beautiful Southwest Dory at the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic Ct. recently. I had to leave before I could ask the builder several questions.  If this was your build please let me know:  1. Did you fiberglass the inside cheeks of the centerboard case? 2. How tall is your main and mizzen masts? 3. Is the mizzen sail a standing or balanced lug? 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Southwest Dory at Wooden Boat Show

It wasn't my dory, but I've glassed the inside of the daggerboard, centerboard and rudder trunks on my most recent builds and can't recommend it enough. I also painted the inside of the trunks with epoxy/graphite mixture, FWIW.

It's all very easy to do before the trunks are assembled.

Have fun,

Laszlo

The graphite epoxy paint inside the daggerboard assembly sound interesting to me. I've wandered about wear and tear on these areas over time. Was thinking about applying fiberglass on the inside trunk extending through the hull. How did you mix or prepare the graphite-epoxy solution?

Hombre,

I used a 50/50 mix, by volume, of graphite and mixed epoxy/hardener. The epoxy and hardener need to be thoroughly mixed first, then the mixture is slowly poured into the graphite. It's like mixing cocoa powder and milk - adding the powder to the milk gives a lumpy mess while the reverse order gives a smooth paste.

Graphite powder starts flying with the slightest puff of air. It also stains anything it touches dark black. Definitely wear gloves and eye protection and at least a dust mask, as well as old clothes.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Thanks for the graphite tip. I will be following your lead on my daggerboard trunk. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.