Cell Phone Holder

Not quite ready for this yet, but just thinking ahead.

Would it be a good idea If I wanted to mount a Cell Phone Holder about 3 or 4 inches up under the coaming of my WD12?  I figure it's a good place to keep the phone easily accessible yet shaded.  

Would epoxy alone be enough to hold it, or should I drill fill drill and screw it in?

Would it get in the way of my knees especially on entrance and exit?

Anybody tried this?  Can you recommend a good holder?

Or is this just another one of my dumb first time builder ideas?

Thanks

Bri

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cell Phone Holder

I find a dry box just forward of the seat to be the best solution.  I glue one or two carbon eyestraps to the bottom and secutre the box with either bungie or line as desired.  Do a fit check with the primary paddler before glueing the eyestrap down.  

One reason I really like my WD12 is that I can slide forward, put my PFD onto the seat bottomand then slide all the way forward to where I can lie down and sleep in the cockpit resting my head on the PFD in the seat.

This needs a smooth cockpit floor, as do wet re-entries.

Laszlo

The whole purpose of having a boat is to be able to get away from those things!

What is the purpose of taking your cell phone on the water? If for emergencies, it is the wrong piece of equipment, get a waterproof radio. For navigation? again get a waterproof piece of equipment. They sound expensive, but when your $600 cell phone gets wet...

So family and friends can get a hold of you? for why? that is worth risking a $600 device, or risking inturrpting a good paddle? What emergency can you actually help with from the water?

You are on call for work but would like to spend that time on the water - the risk of dropping the phone in the drink might actually be worth it in this case. try to find a water tight case.

Have fun paddling, and try to escape the world you normally inhabit.

To actually answer your question - epoxy can hold it - if the epoxy can make a good bond to the phone holder material. Otherwise drill, fill drill is the right way to go.

I always take my phone when I paddle. I have various bird and wildlife guides on there. It's easier than taking several thick books! I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons someone would want to take a phone as well.

No idea how to mount it though sorry. I have mine in a waterproof bag with a strap I can put around my neck.    

I would keep the floor clear for entries wet and dry.

Currently I use a water proof bag for my cell phone with it tucked in the right hand pocket of my PFD. A Cannon Power Shot 30 water proof camera lives in the left pocket with lanyard tieing it to a ring on the PFD.  The phone can be used as a phone and or a navigation device depending upon where you operate. Best use is in the city where reception is good.  I have used Weather Bug to track lightning on night paddles. You can see the flashes 15 miles away. Weather Bug/Spark lets you know they are 15 miles and going away from you.  I have used the phone to track progress via "Map my Ride" .  On the app start the work out and let it run. Stop the work out at the finish. Then you have a record of the paddle, split times, map, and distance.  The one draw back is that you can't see the screen in bright day light.

I have used these cases successfully for about four years. Phones were kept dry and aboe to function through the case in salt and fresh water.

See............. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/seattle-sports--e-merse-large-dry-padded-cell-phone-case-yellow--14384671?recordNum=1

I have some kayak club members that have installed under deck bags. It gets things off the deck but readily available. Ideal for surf work it also lowers center of balance  lower in the kayak.  You'd have to wait till you are used to the boat and make the decision on whether you have knee room or not. See.............

https://northwater.com/search?q=under+deck+bag   

The other good thing about keeping the phone on you instead of the boat is that there are times when you get seperated from the boat. Those will be the unplanned times when communication is most needed. Keep the cell phone, VHF radio, whistle, light , pfd, etc  on you instead of the boat.

>>I have used Weather Bug to track lightning on night paddles. You can see the >>flashes 15 miles away. Weather Bug/Spark lets you know they are 15 miles and >>going away from you.

I use the 1000-foot Chimpanzee app - see lightning flash, start counting "One chimpanzee, two chimpanzees,..." When you hear the thunderclap, stop counting. Every chimpanzee is more or less 1000 feet of distance, so 75 chimps means that the lightning is about 15 miles away. If the chimp count increases, the storm is moving away. Decreasing indicates getting closer.

Next time I'll tell you about my cricket thermometer app.

Laszlo

Get used to the boat and then decide, I like that idea.

And keeping stuff on your person, That is just smart, I like that too.

And I want to hear more about that cricket thermometer. 

Lazzo that's fine you and your Chimps. But what if you have more than one storm and more than one way to go?  And how big is the second storm? Is it, or the other one, coming closer going to be between you and your take out? 

I suppose the best solution really depends on how you end up using it so maybe hold off on boat modifications until you've tried it out?

Everyone is different, but if I can get tripped up by extra doo dads and outfitting, I will. A deckplate/inspection port mounted in a bulkhead is a secure, totally unobtrusive solution, but not so handy if you expect to be fiddling with your phone much. On the other end of the spectrum- I've used one of the transparent dry cases on a lanyard. It's nice for keeping the phone at hand for pictures and offers a reasonable amount of protection for the phone- but the one I have really impedes use, and I've stopped using it. Maybe you could find something a bit more sophistcated.

With all that room in the WD cockpit I might be tempted to build in some custom flush storage on the side or even under the deck. But again, you'd want some time on the water to know what you need to stow, and what room you can spare.

Good luck,

Patrick

Yeah, I will give it some time trial, before I start poking holes.

Thanks Guys 

I started out wanting my phone with me when I went rowing. Not to keep in touch, but for the tools. The navigation, the tracking, the accelerometer, weather radar, and the wind measurements. I bought waterproof bags, and put them inside other waterproof bags. I tried to figure a mounting system.

Then I just went rowing and stopped caring about all that. I’m out for about 1 hour (and 1 hour of sincere rowing will do you just fine), at most 2. I use the weather tools on land before I go out. If I have true doubts about lightning and the wind for the next 90 minutes that means to just stay ashore. I’ve probably missed a few days because of caution, but verifying that the weather is turning on me if I were already 30 minutes away on the water wouldn’t be a good time to learn it.

I wear a cheap water resistant watch with a chronograph. I know how far I went: I don’t need a tracker to tell me. I don’t need to know my trip to the foot and to the second. I just want to assess how I’m doing.

However if I were going somewhere and getting out, instead of rowing down and back, I would surely be looking for a way to have a phone and my wallet and some cash with me on the other end. The clear waterproof bags work fine, and I’m pretty confident if I place my stuff in a smaller one inside a larger one. The variety of ones I have all come with rings or some other way of tying them down.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.