What 'Cleaner' to use after sanding fiberglass?

Put on my second coat of epoxy on fiberglassed hull three days ago.   

Planning to sand the suface with 120 grit.

Before I add subsequent coats of epoxy. Shall I clean the dust off with Mineral Spirits? or?   Thanks for your thoughts!

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What 'Cleaner' to use after sanding fiberglass?

no mineral spirits.

fresh water is fine for cleaning up after sanding.

denatured alcohol is another option but not really needed.

h

To expand on Howard's statement, nothing petroleum based. It will contaminate the surface and your next layer of epoxy may not stick. Also nothing silicone based for the same reason, so no tack rags.

Fresh water is fine for nice clean epoxy dust, but denatured alcohol will also clean off natural oils from fingerprints and sweat that water will leave behind. It also dries faster.

Laszlo

After a few disappointing coatings, I just started making it a practice to wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol as a last step before applying anything.  It only takes a few minutes and it saves a lot of headaches.  In a normal garage/shop, petroleum is everywhere!  

I did use tack cloths on mine. 

Fishbust,

Was it after you were done with the epoxy and only applying paint or varnish? In that case, no problem. It's only an issue between coats of epoxy. If the silicone from the tack cloth contaminates the surface, you'll get fisheyes.

Laszlo

Lazlo it must have been after because I didn't get fisheyes. It was 9 years ago and I didn't put that in my blog. I am planning another build for my wife next winter, so I will be sure to use the alcohol on the next one. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.