Annapolis Wherry Plywood

Hello,

I am comtemplating acquiring plans for building the Annapolis Wherry. With the poor Canadian dollar and shipping costs,acquiring a kit vs plans maybe the way to go for myself. I can acquire Marine Plywood locally, both Okume and Meranti. Trying to predetermine plywood costs. How many sheets are required for the Wherry? I see in the description that 6mm is used, however I noticed that the Expedition Wherry has a materials listing for plan builders and they list  (6) 4mm sheets with one sheet of 6mm. So is the Annapolis hull of 4 or 6mmÉ Also the local Meranti plywood is considerably less expensive (6mm $120 Okume vs $85 Meranti) I know Meranti is slighly heavier but has anyone utlized this plywood as an alternative in any of the CLC designs or your thoughts on doing soÉ      

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Annapolis Wherry Plywood

Since the AW utilizes the Lapstitch construction method the panels are necessarily 6MM. Lapstitch requires a rabbet on the panel edges and 4MM is just too thin. Email the nabobs at CLC and they will send you a bill of materials for the Wherry. BTW, if this is your first foray into boatbuilding or woodworking, you may want to get a kit. IMHO, Lapstitch built from plans requires some experience, lest you end up ruining some fairly expensive plywood. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.