Tenderly

If you builders have not yet seen it, you should watch John's Youtube video about his new kit, Tenderly.

26 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tenderly Motor Pad Question

I have to finish my Eastport first, but Tenderly is certainly on the list of "next boat projects." :-) She is lovely!

One question from the video, though. It looks like there is a motor pad on the transom when the boat is under power but not evident when sailing. Are they using some sort of removable motor pad? I'd love to rig that for my Eastport if possible.

Thanks,

Frank

RE: Tenderly

I'd think there'd have to be some kind of removable pad on the outside, otherwise the gudgeons on the transom for the rudder would get in the way of the outboard/s clamps.  I'd expect there's a plywood pad with thickness just a bit more than the height of the gudgeons off the transom.  I didn't look at the youtube, but did look at the photo gallery.

What is the height of the Tenderly ? I'm planning to transport it in my truck's rooftop (the lenght, width and weight are compatible).

Thanks !

From the drawing at the bottom of the page it looks maybe 27 inches or so deep from the top of the stem to the bottom of the keel/skeg.

That's an awfully heavy boat to cartop (FWIW I cartop a 12-ft long, 100 lb boat).

Laszlo

Hi guys,

In your opinion, where's the best place do mount a compass ? It will probably be a Ritchie Kayaker with the surface mount.

Thanks !

I love the Tenderly and already have an Eastport Pram.  However, I can't justify a boat that's only about 2'  longer as my next build.  For the price of the scarf joints (I'm a purist plan builder), I need a much larger payoff than a 10' boat that's twice the weight but the same payload.  That's why I'm going with the Passagemaker next.  That is unless John lets me be a beta NanoShip builder.  Maybe I'll bring that up to him in Port Townsend... ;^)  

I made a set of plywood pads that encompass both the gudgeons and the heads of the bolts that mount them.  I also made both pads the same so they're reversible/interchangeable.  

One wonders why you need a mounted compass on a 10 foot dinghy...

PVC, foam insulation and a carpet sample might allow you to singlehandedly cartop a 130# dinghy.  Might also be like moving a dead body (not that I know from firsthand experience).

So i'm going to have to roll the boat up in the carpet -- just like a deaad body?

Question...what's the ideal oar lengh for a Tenderly ? 5,91' is too small ? Thanks !

Ha!  I just meant having to put down some carpet next to/behind the tow vehicle.

The easy answer to oar length is to look it up, based on the beam of the boat in question.  So, the Tenderly has a beam of 52" which means that 7' oars should be just fine.

While answering this, I noticed that the oar length is within a fraction of an inch to the Golden Ratio of the beam.  Interesting.  52" x 1.618 = 84.136" = 7' 0-1/8".  Hmmm...

Hi guys...looking at some boat articles I saw a Tenderly`s "relative" with a gunter rig (total of 72sq ft).

It's possible to use this sail configuration in the Tenderly ? And is it too much sail are for him ?

Thanks !!

>>>   Hi guys...looking at some boat articles I saw a Tenderly`s "relative" with a gunter rig (total of 72sq ft).>>>>>>>

Getting the last coats of paint right now in our shop is a prototype for a "club racer/trainer" version of Tenderly.

Same hull, different interior.  Tall sloop rig with a total of 91 square feet, which should prove quite sporting. (Not that the stock model is stodgy.)

To help the crew manage the big rig, "Tenderly XP" has airtight bench seats, for hiking comfort---and quick recovery from a capsize!

This is a speculative design. We'll sail it in the next few weeks and see what we think. More important will be what YOU think, dear readers.

Theoretically the sloop rig will fit in the original dinghy version of Tenderly. That version is set up for maximum versatility as a tender, and the ergonomics don't work nearly as well with the sloop rig. Thus the alternate interior.

CLC Tenderly XP Dinghy

CLC Tenderly XP Dinghy

CLC Tenderly XP Dinghy

Dang!  I'm liking this design more and more!  You're killing me.  I'm all set to build a Passagemaker...

This look so cool !! Please don't forget to post the results !!!

Also why did you opted for a centerboard insted of a daggerboard, like in the "standard" model ?

Centerboards have their advantages compared to daggerboards. As long as we were making Tenderly more complex, might as well add a pivoting centerboard to the mix...

Centerboards take up a lot of space right in the middle of the boat.  This would be unacceptable in an all-round dinghy like the standard Tenderly, among other things precluding several of the best seating positions.

Having shifted the crew onto side benches in this variation, a centerboard trunk taking up all that room is less of a concern.

Plus, centerboards are much more forgiving for unintentional groundings/beachings.  It's much quicker to pop the control line free of the cam/clam cleat than pull the daggerboard up vertically out of the slot, which often binds when you're in a hurry.  For a teaching boat, you'll need every aspect to be as forgiving, user-friendly and ruggedized as possible.  This is a great solution.

My, oh, my! With 91 sq ft of sail area, that will be a fun handful of boat on a windy day. I look forward to seeing demo videos . . . including the process for easy righting! (Maybe a self-bailing version should be available, too.)

I still like the appearance of the lug rig, but that sloop is certainly a sailboat with horsepower and style

Where do you guys suggest to put a support to an anchor ? Is a boat cleat at the breasthook a bad idea ?

Thanks !

Any chance that the Tenderly XP will be available as a kit in time for the March 26-31 school in Annapolis?  

My thoughts exactly!! I'd be in Annapolis at the end of March in a heartbeat if there was an option to do theTenderly XP!

...Noticed it being painted on the shop cam today...

It's not impossible that it becomes a build-your-own class subject, but it won't happen in 2018.

The prototype was built in a class at the WoodenBoat School last summer, but it wasn't a build-your-own class.  Instead, we had a dozen people all working on one boat as part of a composites-skills class!

It's not any harder to build than the stock Tenderly Dinghy, but the parts-count is higher, which translates into a really busy 5-1/2 days.

CLC Tenderly XP Dinghy

>>To help the crew manage the big rig, "Tenderly XP" has airtight bench seats, for hiking comfort---and quick recovery from a capsize!

With all that sail area a single-hander is going to want plenty of "hiking comfort," but in the sketches and the prototype there is a wide bench seat and then a small rise to a narrow rail. If I'm hiking, I'm going to be up on that rail and it won't be any more comfortable than the rail on my dory. If I were to build the boat, I'd be tempted to modify the design so I had a little bit of deck or a wide rail on which to perch my boney butt when hiking.

Overall, this version of Tenderly reminds me a bit of the lovely wooden Firefly that my dad owned as our first family racing boat -- 12' long, 56" wide, 90 sq. ft., mainsail and jib. If I remember correctly, it had a wide rail or narrow band of deck. It was a very fun sailboat.

John, can you share more photos of the XP version ?

Hey Birch, you bring up an interesting point.  However, I'm not seeing this thing being sailed like a Laser where one sits on the side of the boat when hiking.  One could lash some pool noodles to the beautiful and very convenient scuppered inwales to transition from the seat to the gunwale.

The XP development could not be more exciting!!  I had already been considering the Tenderly has an ideal small sailing boat that I could build in my basement, take the wife and/or daughters out on the South River with, while also using it to teach the daughters up until they begin down the Optimist track.  Having the sloop rig option with seating to closer match racing in a dinghy just ups the ante.  This hull really does provide so much!  Prior to the Tenderly coming available I was leaning towards a Spindrift model...  and while they do provide a planing hull, in a multipurpose boat for the family, having a beautiful lapstrake hull to me provides a boat I will want to use and maintain for a lifetime.  Thanks so much John and crew for working on this!  I'll have to stop in the shop soon and check it out-

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.