Peeler spray rails

I'm at the point in the peeler build where I am installing the spray rails. I have the 84" X7/8 X 1"" wood but it is fairly sturdy and doesn't seem like it's going to bend with the curve of the boat even though there isn't much curvature aft. Unlike the manual, I am not retrofitting so these will go on with celofill as I screw them in.

Has anyone had an issue with these going on or is there a trick to getting the rails to bend -just a little apprehensive about drilling screws in unless I know it's going to be right. Also, I was planning to use one piece of wood (so 1" depth for spray rails not 2") thinking I can come back later to add the other if these don't do the job, which I think they will. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jack

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler spray rails

Jack,

When we put the spray rails on my Peeler, we pre-drilled them for drywall screws to clamp them while the epoxy/celofill mix set. The screws had no difficulty bending the first course to the hull. The most forward screw did penetrate the inside of the hull, which then required a dab of epoxy/wood-flour to fill the hole after the screws were removed. All the other screws penetrate inside the bouyancy chambers. Soaping or waxing the screws (so that they don't get glued in place) is a good practice.

After a few summers using About Time, I would recommend 2" for the spray rails.

Regards,

Dick

JEC  

You're probably past this now, but perhaps others will find this useful.  I made the mistake of prebuilding both layers of the rails then realized they weren't going to bend to the hull.  With many ratchet straps and screws, I was able to suck them to the hull, but it was stressful and I wasn't sure it would stick.  I ended up leaving that tension in place for many days.  All turned out fine in the end, but I also added an epoxy bear and fibreglass strip top and bottom for extra strength.  Having those rails attached only with epoxy to the hull seemed too weak, especially when I imagined kids using those rails the stand on getting into the PEELER, when trailered.  That probably won't happen but you never know.

My need to overbuild is also probably the reason my PEELER is taking 3 seasons to build.

Jan Welke 

I found that starting at the forward end made bending a little easier. Also, you may want the screws closer together up forward. The epoxy bond, when completely cured, is very strong. After flipping the hull, my son and I used the rails as handles to center the stern on the trailor. Of course, no motor yet. I don't think I'd want to try that now

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.