bright lines left on teardrop hull made by the plywood mold?

(can't seem to login to teardrop forum so posting this here)

i took the mold off the teardrop.  i noticed bright lines the width and location of all the mold ribs that contacted the plywood--both the lateral and longitudinal ribs.   i have sanded with 120 grit but the lines are still faintly visible.  i wetted the plywood with a damp cloth to simulate the effect of epoxy, but the lines still show.  i don't want to sand thru the veneer in order to remove them.

as anyone else encountered this?  what might be the solution?  (other than to leave as-is and i suppose no one but me will notice, altho i don't like that idea!)

thanks

ken

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: bright lines left on teardrop hull made by the plywood mold?

after thinking about this for a couple of hours, i'm wondering if the bright lines are actually the shadow from the mold pieces, with the rest of the shell having darkened slightly from the sunlight from all the windows in my workshop?  i started building about a month ago.  if this is in fact the case, i dont think there is any solution except to sand it and go with it.   

Your hypothesis is a good one. If you can hold off putting epoxy on for another month, the sunlight will probably blend those areas right in.

���I had the same issue with mine. I did a lot of the work outside and I agree, it is from the mold. The lines will fade some what when you do the sanding and lay the big fiberglass sheets.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.