My NE Dory...Finished!

It is finished! Now I have to face the state to get it registered. The wind was blowing so strong when we were taking this picture, I almost put a reef in the sail!

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2vigfht.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/15wh11z.jpg[/IMG]

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: My NE Dory...Finished!

Remember, mast up, pointy end forward. :-)

Looks good. Looking forward to splash pictures.

Laszlo

Looks good! Hope you can follow up on your thread about dory speed. Keep us posted!

Thanks to the great State of Idaho its going to be a week or more before I can hit water. I can't get my boat registered due to all the state inspectors attending a training seminar. I guess I just have to wait a little longer.

Hi Mike,

What a good looking sail set up.

I hope my lug looks as good on my passagemaker.

What trailer are you using?

���I'm not using a trailer. I am carrying my Dory on a truck rack. It is sitting on the Trailex hand dolly.

Mike,

I just looked at the Idaho boat registration requirements and they say that only boats 12 feet or longer with an outboard or boats with a permanently attached mode of propulsion that are model year 2000 or newer need registration.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems to me that your boat doesn't meet those requirements. You can completely remove all the sailing bits, leave them at home and have a rowboat. Or, you can leave the oars at home and have a sailboat.  Either way, the propulsion systems are not permanently attached.

So maybe you can go sailing sooner?

Laszlo

��Laszlo, I've been down that road already. It's been quite the run around. Boating in idaho is controlled by parks and recreation. They say that a sail is a motor. So a 17 foot boat with a sail needs to be registered and titled as a motor vehicle. This is where it gets real fun. To title a vehicle it has to have a VIN #. Or in the case of a boat a HIN#. Since my boat did not come from a factory with a HIN# I have to have an Idaho inspector create one. So I have to get an appointment and take my Dory in to them. Hopefully I can get an appointment early next week.

If you bought a kit from CLC they will send you a letter with a HIN. That is what I used in NJ. If you made from plans then you need to proceed as you are. I printed the  HIN on rice paper and epoxied it under the glass on the inside bow and stern. Came up very clear. Satisfied the requirements for Jersey title and registration.

See the post entitled Skerry registration in NJ

���Just got off the phone with the State inspector. He is booked out till next Monday. Gotta wait another week....

And the State is making me wait another week. The inspector came today as promised. I now have spiffy state issued HIN# plates on my Dory. But he will not be able to complete the paperwork until next Monday……… Long range weather forecast for next week, partly cloudy, highs in the 60’s mild wind. I can’t wait!!   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.