Masks and epoxy

My wife and I started work on our Noreaster Dory kit in the fall and put our work aside in October after assembling the bulkheads and strakes. During the winter, both of us were sick off and on with long-lingering coughs.

We're eager to resume work on our kit, but want to avoid any exposures that could bring back our coughing. What kind of masks/respirators should we use? 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Masks and epoxy

i use the relatively inexpensive 3M masks....

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/booth-tools/3m-6000-series-respirator-with-filter.html

and i have both filter sets...particulate and coal/vapor.   they are comfortable and easy and do the job.

i also wear a 'junk' baseball hat to keep dust out of my hair...and keep a couple boxes of disposable nitril or vinyl gloves handy.   eye protection -- glasses or safety glasses....are another must.

It's good that you're both paying attention to good work habits when picking up where you left off on your project. Even without consideration of your personal sensitivities to allergens, wood dust, fiberglass particles and airborne chemical vapors just aren't good for our bodies. Inexpensive paper-like dust masks just aren't up to the challenges these kinds of projects present.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know behind this link but lots of good info in how to make a choice for what you're expecting to encounter going forward.

I'm using a 3M 7500 respirator in this picture. Its really comfortable & has the changeable filters so I can go from dust to organic filters easily. I got it at one of the big box hardware stores, Lowes I think. I'm very glad I picked this up before I started My Eastport build.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.