Switch from MAS to WEST?

Building a NE Dory kit and will run out of MAS when I start the rigging. My local outfitter sells WEST. Continuing with MAS would require shipping. Other things being equal I'd continue with MAS, but it's just easier to pick up the WEST on the way to work.

Considerations?

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Switch from MAS to WEST?

Worked fine for me.

Do note the mix ratios are Much different. Not that I would have made a stupid mistake like that or anything.

As long as the MAS has cured ( 3 or 4 days at 70 degF) there should be no problem switching to WEST.

As I remember it, the cure rate of MAS at 70 degF is about 95% in 24 hours, 98% in 7 days and 100% in about 3 months.

Probably has no bearing on this but I thought I'd throw that in there.

I switched in mid build too. It worked. Be sure to get the West System pumps.

I bought West for my Project. I Like it. The ratio is 5-1,  but the pumps are proportioned accordingly.  The good news there is it allows me to mix a very small amount. 1 push from each pump.  So yeah, you need to get the West Pumps.  

Ive never used MAS, but Its 2-1, right?,   2 pumps of Resin 1 of Hardener.

No problem applying WEST atop MAS. We do so here at the shop sometimes. (Their 207 clear hardener is absolutely magnificent beneath varnish.) Just mind the different mixing ratios.

Yakaroo, "Ive never used MAS, but Its 2-1, right?,   2 pumps of Resin 1 of Hardener."

No. One pump each, full stroke slowly.

Yakaroo MAS is 2:1 resin to hardener. But it's something to "set and forget". Set up the correct pumps at the outset. The doc says test the pumps to ensure the ratios are correct. The resin pump puts out twice the volume as the hardener pump. So one pump plus one pump gives you a 2:1 mix. WEST has some equivalent system of pumps. They have different ratios, but the idea is still 1 pump + 1 pump = correct mix.

Does anyone know, does the West Epoxy get the Amine Blush?

I not quite there yet, but it will be good to know if I need to worry about that?

Yakaroo,

Yes, WEST System will blush. Not every time. water and scrubby pad clean it off   the quickest.

I work with both West and Mas and they are both good, but different. I find the Mas is in the 'green' state longer and makes triming glass easy. The West seems to go from wet to hard faster. (These are not scientific observations!). I do have problems with hte Mas resin cyrstalizing, where as the West has never done that to me.

Have fun,

Joel

I actually prefer West with 207 special clear hardener to MAS for the parts of the boat that are going to be varnished.   Special clear hardener has a ultraviolet inhibitor and is supposed to hold up longer when exposed to sunlight but you are still supposed to coat it with uv filtering varnish.

CLC says on this site of West "We especially like their 207 Hardener for blush-free coating and clear fiberglass work".

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.