Kayak Roller Launches?

More and more of the public canor/kayak launches near me have started to use roller launches like this one:

http://www.ez-dock.com/product/500955-ez-launch-drive-through-with-ports-and-large-dock/

When I launch my plastic kayak from one of these, there is a point where all my weight is held up between the bow in the water, and the stern still on the launch platform.  I am assuming that I should avoid these like the plague, but am I overreacting?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak Roller Launches?

Jeff,

What does a plastic kayak have to do with it? Are you worried if your wooden kayak will stand up to the stress as well as your plastic one does?

If so, don't worry. My wife and I have been launching our WD12 and CH16LT boats off one of those for about 2 years now, with no problems. Our boats both have graphie/epoxy bottoms, BTW.

Laszlo

The plastic kayak was simply my only experience on the rollers. I sometimes have felt the plastic hulls flex when using the rollers, so yes, I was worried about how the wood/epoxy would hold up on my CH17LT.  

I have friends who paddle carbon-fiber/kevlar/fiberglass boats who never use the rollers, and they feel that I should not either. 

Good to know that someone has some experience with these.

The plastic kayaks are nowhere near as stiff as the wooden ones sold here. That's why they have to have those weird corrugations in the bottom - to keep them from folding up. Our boats don't flex at all during launch.

Don't know why your friends won't use those launchers, unless they're afraid that their snazzy expensive boats will get scratched.

As far as structural damage is concerned, keep in mind that with the bow in the water, 1/2 your weight is being supported by the water, which is evenly distributed over a large surface area. This is a very benign, almost ideal condition, especially since the water will move to accommodate any changes. It will always push back with only enough force to balance the displacement.

Have fun,

Laszlo

This a timely thread for me. One of my local parks/docks recently put in a roller launch. I have never used one and was concerned about pressure and flex from the rollers on the hull of my new Sassafras 12. I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Jeff said, "  When I launch my plastic kayak from one of these, there is a point where all my weight is held up between the bow in the water, and the stern still on the launch platform."

Some of my best capsizes have been when some well meaning person grabs my kayak and pulls the bow up the bank. This puts the bow high on land and the weight evenly distributed between pointy bow and pointy stern. There is less center (wide part) in the water.  Don't stop when you come off the rollers.

I've seen one or two with the hand rails crossing the loading point about three feet up. I figured these were for handicap kayakers.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.