Working Finish

Now that the weather is starting to warm up over here on the Kitsap Peninsula, I am nearing the end of my Skerry build.  The boat is complete, and I had it in the water plenty at the end of the year last year, but it still needs paint.

I am not looking for a show room finish (even if I was, I don’t think I would ever get there).

I was able to put the varnish on in a day by re-applying every 2 hours without sanding between coats (blasphemy I know).    

My question is, can I do the same or similar with Interlux Brightside? The can says “Touch Dry” and “Sanding Time*” “*Must be sanded prior to Overcoating.”  Does this mean that if I overcoat between the touch dry and sanding times, I don’t need to sand in order to make the next coat adhere properly?  Again, I know I will not get the show room finish, but my only concern is ensuring the paint cures properly.

Any advice?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Working Finish

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/painting_polyurethanes.html

I did a fair amount of researching with taking the advice of the CLC link to videos on Off center Harbor. For me, I would not recommend multiple coats in one day. On the interior of my Pocetship, I used the Interlux Pre-Kote and then pretty much sanded that off. It is very thick, so you may need to thin some with a cap full with Interlux 333. It fills in a lot of minor issues that you could have missed. I then put 2 coats on using the Interlux Birghtside and sanding with 320 grit between coats. You also need to wipe clean before any coats.  I think the key is multiple "thin" coats and allowing them to dry completely. I went a week between coats. Mainly because of work. From my experience 65-70 degrees was a good working temperature. Be sure to wear a respirator and have good ventilation. The fumes are strong. 

There are also some good videos / articles on Jamestown Distributors that may help. 

I varnished my boat inside and out, so I've got no useful advice about applying paint. But someone else on this forum has suggested that modern paints are basically varnishes with pigment. That sounds about right to me.

I started out sanding between coats of varnish, but like you I got impatient and I also came to believe that I might end up with better adhesion by applying subsequent coats before the varnish was fully dry (i.e., within a matter of hours, not days). I figured it was my boat and I would follow my own conclusions and take my chances. More than a year later the varnish on my boat is holding up beautifully.

I guess my advice is that you should breathe easy about your varnish.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.