Going old school, Tiller extension

Out to the workshop this morning, today's task? Tiller extension. I was reading the manual and looking at the extension blank. I long rectangle, not elegant at all. My first impulse was to grab my trusty old Porter Cable router and a round over bit. Then I started to think, I remembered how much fun I was having teaching myself to use a hand plane earlier on in my build. Then I saw it, a tool that has been hanging on my tool rack for over 25 years. I always just regarded it as a decoration, a spoke shave. I'm not even sure where I got the thing. I pulled it down, put a nice edge on the blade and took a few experimental strokes. The tear-out was horrible, I remember watching Roy Underhill and his produced long thin curls and ribbons. So I turned turning the blade over, that's the ticket!! Now I am getting long ribbons!! A few more adjustments and I was off. Very proud of my results, not perfect but for a first time user I think it is great, I was so happy with it I toyed with the idea of not sanding and leaving the tool marks intact. What fun!!!!

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Going old school, Tiller extension

Did you make a schnitzelbank out of an old log first? :-)  

"So I turned turning the blade over, that's the ticket!!"...Is this a misprint or if not, can you explain in layman's terms what you did, to get the results you were looking for?

Now that you have learned how much fun a spokeshave is to work with, try makeing a pair oars, or an inuit kayak paddle, or a canoe paddle. But be careful - it can be addicting!

Joel

Gotta admire someone who knows the term schnitzelbank! . . .  After looking it up, I wish I had one!

"Did you make a schnitzelbank out of an old log first? :-)"

Nope, I just sat on top of my Workmate!!

"So I turned turning the blade over, that's the ticket!!"...Is this a misprint or if not, can you explain in layman's terms what you did, to get the results you were looking for?

Yes that is a bit of a mis-type. It should say I tried turning the blade over. I had the blade installed wrong!

OK, then for your next challenge go find yourself a drawknife!

But practice with it first before trying it on a workpiece you want to keep around.

For the past 25 years, woodworking has been my main hobby, for both my father and I. We both loved to watch all the shows on PBS, one of which was “The Woodwright Shop” with Roy Underhill. He’s the crazy guy who uses only non-powered colonial style tools. My dad and I both thought this looked like fun and started to gather hand plains and spoke shaves and draw knives. But neither one of us ever used them. We both gravitated much more to “The New Yankee Workshop”. All power!!!! Anyway my Dad has gone home to be with the Lord and I now have his shop as well as mine to play in. I have collected all of Dads hand plains, some of which are in pretty sad shape. But one was a brand new Stanley that I employed repeatedly on my Dory. I also know that hanging on his wall is a brand new Draw Knife. I am sure dad took it out of the package once, made one or 2 cuts and put it back. I will pick it up next time I visit Mom.    

You're blessed Mike, having a dad who taught you about things you could carry forward that would bring you pleasure. I can say the same thing, it's been 22 years since my dad passed away.

Drawknives are like spokeshaves but in one important way different: they can be used either way (like chisels) either bevel up or down, depending on what you're looking to do with one. Best used when sharpened properly they (like all edged tools!) deserve respect with regard to your personal safety.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.