Resperator Advice

OK, so I've got my Eastport kit & I'm getting ready to build starting next weekend.

I've used simple dust masks but never a resperator. I think I'd like to try one on this project.

Any specific recommendations? I don't mind spending reasonable $s for one but there are plenty to choose from, some big bucks!

What do you use? Would you get a better/lesser one after the fact?

Thanks!

Frank

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Resperator Advice

Frank,

This is a pretty good respirator, I particularly like the ability to switch out particulate filters for organic vapor (paint, solvents, etc.) filters.

On our last project we used Festool sanders and a Festool HEPA Mini-Vac. That gave us a dust free shop. Only needed a respirator for hand sanding.

Cheers,

Dick

Dick,

Yeah, the 3M resperators look to be pretty much the standard. This is my first time working with epoxy & fiberglass, so I'm thinking of fumes as well as particulate. The ability to swap out filters is a plus.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

When we built my Peeler Skiff, it had been almost 30 years since my previous build project and I was very impressed with how much better epoxy resins are today. With the MAS formulations, that came with my CLC kit, there was zero amine blush and zero fumes and odors. The only times we felt the need for organic vapor protection was when we were using paints and solvents, not when working with epoxy (skin protesction is always necessary with epoxy and hardener).

When using stitch and glue construction, everything you sand off is dangerous to breathe. Use HEPA dust collectors or respirators whenever you are sanding or sweeping up or brushing off dust.

Cheers,

Dick

I also use a 3m respirator, and, as Dick said, switch between organic and dust filters. Works really well. I regret it any time I try to save time and not put it on. I also use a vacuum on my sander. I am very safety and clean oriented and sweep amd vacuum my work area almost every time I do any sanding, cutting or planing. I really enjoy walking into a clean and 'ready to go' work area. Of course, that is the goal. The reality is never quite so perfect.

Stay safe! Breathing, Skin and Eye protection always. I want to biuld and use boats for a long time. Any fool can get hurt - It takes brains to stay safe.

Joel

My advice for a respirator is “don't forget to wear it!”. I was sanding away on my Dory once, I had been working for about a half hour when I realized I had forgotten to put mine on. The next day I felt like I had a major hay fever attack. Not the worst thing in life but definitely not pleasant.

Maybe the Resp-O-Rator (Model JR-7)  sold by Duckworcks  is an option?

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/resp/

Ruud

Thanks for all the words of caution!

I will probably go with the 3M & HEPA/vapors filters but the Resp-O-Rator looks interesting.

Glad to know the MAS epoxies are better than others but am planning to get in the habit of using the resperator when sanding, working with the epoxy & finishing with paint, too. I'm in my 60s & *try* to stay healthy, especially when it takes such a little effort.

I'll be looking for a Dust Deputy collector/separater, too. Read about it in another post & sounds like a good idea.

Frank

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.