BEST CHOICE NE DORY,OR SKERRY?

I am down to two choices.

( I knocked out the Passagemake due to fact in Massachusetts anything that is designed to have a motor needs to be registered and numbers applied to hull)

I live on the  coast in Swampscott MA.( pretty rocky and good wind )

I like the NE Dory because a little Swampscott history.( with Lug sail)

I also like the Skerr with Sprit sail.

I would get either one with sailinging kit.

My main concern is bouyancey, I see Skerry has air tanks built in under seats.

I see the dory is covered in aft ( is this sealed and creates bouyancey?)

Any comments any one can provide pro or con on each choice will help me get this project starteded.

I am biting at the bit to order by this weekend!!

Thanks

Anthony

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: BEST CHOICE NE DORY,OR SKERRY?

I have no first hand experiance with either but I have spent alot of time drooling over both. The Dory does not have closed in tanks like the Skerry (the rear seat is not  sealed) but the build calls for closed cell foam to be epoxied under the seats to provide floatation. From what I've read this is enough to keep it from sinking but those with the Dory seem to be wanting more to make self rescure possible.

I'm sure owners and others will chime in. This quandry is a common one because they are both great boats. Enjoy which ever and keep us posted.

I struggled with this same decision. I settled on the Dory. The Dory gives you more room and seating, can carry more, does not weigh that much more, you just seem to get a lot more for your money.

I have a NE Dory so I am biased.  But I agree that it gives you a lot more boat for almost no more weight, hassle, or expense. 

The specified foam flotation under the seats and inside the unsealed stern seat gives it enough flotation that it won't sink and can be easily self rescued in flat water.   However, it's not flat water that you need to worry about.   Without addl flotation, I would be very worried about trying to self rescue in serious waves. 

That said I have had the dory out in some fairly big chop and it is very stable, not easy to "capsize" and even if you dip the rail, as long as you react you won't completely swamp the boat.  I haven't been uncomfortable or scared.  Don't cleat the mainsheet though in any strong wind or gusty conditions!!!

For extra flotation, I strap big cylindrical fenders low and tight in the boat, and (when camp cruising) loaded drybags as well.  Those provide substantial extra flotation.   I also know some folks have added a sealed bow compartment. 

The skerry is smaller and I would imagine would not handle seas any better. 

Anthony,

I live in Massachusetts too. If you don't hang an outboard on the Passagemaker, you do not have to register it. "All motorized boats used on the state's public waterways, including vessels that don't primarily depend on mechanical propulsion." That means if I mount a motor on a sailboat is is "motorized" if I don't mount a motor it is not "motorized".

That being said, for the water off Swampscott I'd definitely choose the NE Dory over the Skerry or the Passagemaker.

Cheers,

Dick

RE: BEST CHOICE NE DORY,OR SKERRY ok NE DORY

Great

Now....

Sloop or Lug rig.

My experiance has only been on much large boats and ships.

(Maritime grad,)

The build is to teach my son some maritime schooling.

Anthony,

In an open boat, one sheet is safer than two. My vote would be for the lug rig. The reports on NE Dory performance do not have anything bad to say about it and it is simpler to rig and to handle. Looks better, too.

Regards,

Dick

When I was doing the research for my purchase I was really drawn to the Slop rig. The only experience I have had sailing was on Slop rigged boats so that was my main direction. To my eye they looked nicer and it was all I knew. Then I read this article from John Harris.

http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/lug-nuts-lug-rigs.html

After reading that I ordered the Lug. I am just now starting to build the lug sail setup. I will be maidening my Dory as a row boat this coming Monday. Unless we have a radical change in the weather forecast.

Hi Mike

Are you doing anything about flotation on the dory?

I chose the lug

- unstayed and super simple, so quicker to rig and get on the water

- much easier to douse sail and row when the wind dies.   One of the great advantages of the dory design is it's a near-perfect compromise between sailing and rowing performance.  The dory rows amazing well (for a 17 foot boat)  with one rower,  and is fantastic with two rowers.   The lug rig makes it convertible from sailing to tandem rowing while underway.  

- good performance -- won't be quite as good upwind as the sloop, but probably better on a reach and downwind.     

I chose the lug

- unstayed and super simple, so quicker to rig and get on the water

- much easier to douse sail and row when the wind dies.   One of the great advantages of the dory design is it's a near-perfect compromise between sailing and rowing performance.  The dory rows amazing well (for a 17 foot boat)  with one rower,  and is fantastic with two rowers.   The lug rig makes it convertible from sailing to tandem rowing while underway.  

- good performance -- won't be quite as good upwind as the sloop, but probably better on a reach and downwind.     

Hi Dick

I re read the regs , you are correct.of the registration on the PM

Hi Anthony

Yes, I have added the “blue foam” insulation that the manual calls for. I played around with the idea of sealing the aft seat and making it a water tight enclosure. I had also planned out a means of enclosing the bow and making a 2nd watertight floatation tank. I was shut down due to the cost. The sheets of insulation are cheap and after coating them with 3 coats of epoxy are rather tough. I have a thread on this forum titled “My Dory so far”. You can see the pictures of what I have done there. It has been an absolute blast building my Dory, you will enjoy yours!!

���Get the lugsail with reef points. I have the skerry with lug rig and when the wind piped up it got hard to maintain control downwind until I reefed. I was fine until I tried to change jibes. It was too much sail for trying to tack around so I tried to jibe it but overpowered downwind to the point that I couldn't get it around because it accelerated above hull speed and dug a hole then tried to trip over itself. With the reef, totally ok.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.