NE Dory Car topping

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I plan on car topping my Dory. I have been thinking about how the rails are going to be scuffed up some sliding up onto the truck rack. I figured that was just the cost of wanting to use my travel trailer and my Dory at the same time. I was in a local farm store picking up some screws and saw a display of cotton and hemp ropes. I thought that if I put rope along the top of the rail, say a ¾ braid. Then that would take the scuffing. Which would be better, Hemp or cotton? Both would be expendable and need replacing every few years, better that then my rails. How would I attach it? Brass screws and washers? Nails? Epoxy? All ideas are welcome!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Car topping

The hemp will be considerably more durable than the cotton, but the cotton wil be somewhat softer and thereby might scuff less.   It's tough to know how best to attach either item without knowing something about the truck rack itself.  A fast and easy way would be with epoxy; a faster and easier way, at least until you can decide if this whole approach is viable, would be duct tape!  (As an old farmer/rancher, baler twine and duct tape are my go-to adhesives when I'm not sure what the final fix really is.  They usually work.)

Another option to protect the rail might be Keeleazy.  I use it to protect the sheer of my race kayak from paddle strikes.  Pretty durable stuff and goes on easily.  If it does not work, you could remove with a heat gun.

I think I have it figured out. I'm going with cotton, yes hemp would be more durable but if I lean against it cotton is not scratchy. I am going to hold it in place with strips of leather and small brass screws.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.