Used wood flour instead of cell-o-fill to glue up rails. Am I in trouble?

Made a mistake. No excuse for it.  How serious is it?  I  mixed epoxy and wood flour to glue the rails together, instead of Cell-o-fil as the directions call for?  Should I saw our the glued joints, and recut the scarfs and do it will Cell-o-fill?  

17 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Used wood flour instead of cell-o-fill to glue up rails. Am I in trouble?

This is a Northeast Dory build.   

No problem. Does it feel solid? If so, just keep going, you probably got a very good joint with the wood flour. For many of the aplications on these small boats, the epoxy thickogens are interchangable.  And there are a lot more choices than come with a CLC kit. Micro-balls, Cotton fibers, Colloidal Silica, ...   Cell-o-fill will give you a stronger joint, but then the rail scarf is going to be plenty strong with wood flour. Certainly, wood flour makes for better looking fillets ...

So, for your own peace of mind, pull on the joint. Twist the joint. If she stays together (and She will) continue building the boat!

Have fun, and welcome to boat building, were there really really is not a 'right' way to do anything!!!

Joel

Thanks very much, Joel! You made my day!  Gluing those rails was the last thing I did Monday night, and I wasn't thinking. Happened to read that part again in the manual about 10 PM last night. I am having fun with the build! Again, thanks!   

I was watching the shopcam today. It looked like they were using superglue and a spray on fixer to tack it together before pulling stitches. . Interesting I had not even thought of doing that. Much cleaner than initial use of epoxy. 

Yeah, cyanoacrylate adds a big plus over using epoxy only. It wasn't around when I built my first boat back in the early 70's while the next one I undertake will see it used a lot!

I just did my bulkheads and the manual said to:

1. mix resin, hardener, and cel-o-fill
  2. apply it to the puzzle joints
  3. sandwich them in the doublers with epoxy

Mkcagle and spclark are you saying that at step 2 above I could've used cyanoacrylate? 

My next job is to make the dory's floor and six hull panels but they don't have doublers. Could they be joined with cyanoacrylate instead of resin?

CLC has articles Working with Cyanoacrylate (CA) Glue and EZ Bond Cyanoacrylate Adhesive (CA Glue) Medium Viscosity but it's not clear to me how this replaces epoxy, and the dory manual doesn't mention it.

Using wood flour instead of cel-o-fil is no big deal. I believe Lazlo mentioned once that he uses wood flour exclusively.

I think the CA glue is used instead of extra stitches when joining the panels. It does not make that strong a joint so I would still "tack" with epoxy mix. When I did the puzzle joints on my WD12 the manual said to use thickened epoxy and reinforce with tape so I don't think just using CA glue would be strong enough. 

I do not advocate using superglue to replace epoxy!

Where it can be useful is where parts benefit from a more-than-twisted-wire positioning until epoxy is applied. Think of it as a clamp that doesn't need to be removed once it's in place.

Epoxy will provide a more resiliant joint wood to wood.

I have only ever used wood flour.

I would think if your goal is to clear coat your boat (the manual calls it a bright finish), wood flour would be the way to go. The Cell-o-fill cures with a white hue. Wood flour matches the wood. I painted my boat so I really didn’t care, but I did notice several places that the Cell-o-fill joint would have shown if I had clear coated.    

Mikeflys,

Greetings Mike, is there a way we can private message?  I have questions regarding your project, thanks..........Dave

I dont think you can PM on this forum.  [email protected].   

spclark, thanks for the clarification on the superglue, I get it that's not a replacement or supplement for epoxy, but for stitching. (Sorry, told you I was a noob).

What's the reason for using only wood flower? I'm guessing it's a) easier to finish for clear coat, b) less stuff to buy? 

Hello all,

I do have the same question about using wood flour instead of silica. This is my first build so I have been following the manual. When installing the cockpit coaming and spacers on a wood duck 12 I used epoxy and silica for glue. On the outside I applied a fillet but now I have a white ring. I am thinking about applying another fillet over top with wood flour.

Thought?

Wood flour and silica (just two of many additives for epoxy to make the resulting mixture do things unfortified epoxy isn't as good for) both thicken the epoxy being used, making it easier to form shapes or allow it to stay in place on other-than-horizontal surfaces.

The additive (or combination of!) chosen depends on what both the working consistency of the uncured resin mix might be best for the job (what's called 'slump' when you work with concrete for instance) as well as how the cured resin is to behave in place. Two additives for the latter condition, where slipperiness or resistance to abrasion are required, would be graphite or aluminum powder.

N'20177 you've discovered one of the reasons why wood flour's often chosen over silica; the latter leaves a white signature better covered by paint than the more wood-tone appearance of wood-flour-filled epoxy.

Another consideration of one vs. the other might be weight: silica is denser than most wood flours so for equal volumes of cured resin, each fortified with equal volumes of the two fillers, the silica blend will be somewhat heavier.

Thank you spclark

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.